Zebra Music Festival 2012

HomeForumsIn ChengduZebra Music Festival 2012

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I live in Chongqing.

I’m going to this to supplement not going to Coachella as I usually do.

I would appreciate any advice, tips, information from any past goers or goers this year. Lineups? Logistic info? Ticket prices?!

JustCharlie on the bill?

Or directing me to a place where I can find such info.

Dweez out!

Participant

Dude, not to be snarky, but are you comparing Zebra with Coachella? You may be in for some disappointment.

Advice: just enjoy it as a chance to sit on the grass and chill with friends. If the sun shines, all the better. Bargain hard with taxi drivers. Take the bus if possible. A frizbee or ball can add to the fun. The line-up is patchy at best, but some local acts are pretty good (Mr. Turtle are fun, P. Butterfly can be world-class on their day). Enjoy….

Keymaster
    Quote:
    JustCharlie on the bill?

No one has contacted me about it, but the situation for DJ’s at Zebra has deteriorated in the 3 years that it’s been running. Hopefully there’ll be DJ’s playing on the second stage, but a much better prospect might be…

The Big Love festival which is happening in June. Big Love was supposed to happen last year but got cancelled. I’ve already been contacted about this and seen the lineup, I don’t think it’s been released yet but it looks like a lot of fun. There are some international acts that I’ve never seen/heard of in China before, which is a relief. Hopefully the festival season in Chengdu goes well!

Also, Alex, it’s like we’re switching places. I played all 3 years at Zebra in Chengdu but am in SF now, going to Coachella for the first time this weekend!

Participant
    Quote:
    No one has contacted me about it, but the situation for DJ’s at Zebra has deteriorated in the 3 years that it’s been running. Hopefully there’ll be DJ’s playing on the second stage, but a much better prospect might be…

There will be DJs on the 2nd stage and xiong mao will also have a dedicated tent on site.

Participant

Thanks fellas.

Ray — of course I’m not comparing, they just happen to come along a couple of weekends apart and I so happy to be in SoChi instead of SoCal this year. You have any idea which bus to take?/where? If it’s too far down a rabbit hole, no worries.

Charlie — don’t miss Kendrick Lamar (on Friday, I believe), I haven’t been this hyped on an MC in years and I hope you get the opportunity to camp, because it’s a lot more fun, despite the heat.

AM — will keep the eyes peeled for the Xiongmao tent.

Anyone know where to buy tickets? Do such things run out? Can I just show up at the venue?

Participant

At The Drive-In reforming for Coachella? Damn, i’d almost jump on a plane just for those guys. Should be amazing….

Participant
    Quote:
    Anyone know where to buy tickets? Do such things run out? Can I just show up at the venue?

I doubt they will run out of tickets. There are normally plenty of touts outside the main gate. Tickets are 120 per day.

Official Website

Tickets

An article in English

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Charlie — don’t miss Kendrick Lamar (on Friday, I believe), I haven’t been this hyped on an MC in years and I hope you get the opportunity to camp, because it’s a lot more fun, despite the heat.

I definitely won’t miss Kendrick Lamar, and I would be camping if I weren’t staying in this house!

I already got a list of artists I’m trying to catch on Friday/Saturday/Sunday, it’s like 10 bands per day.

Participant
    Quote:
    and I would be camping if I weren’t staying in this house!

Holy shit, way to go !

Participant
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Zebra Festival Preview

No real headliners, huh?? In terms of lineup, this looks like a big event at the Hemp House.

Participant
    Quote:
    Zebra Festival Preview

Never heard of any of the bands, but I’m looking forward to the Xiong Mao tent and the festival atmosphere.

Big Love looks promising, I’m interested in peep’n the full line-up.

Keymaster
    Quote:

It’s coming out real soon

Participant
    Quote:

Ken Ishii on the Friday and Ellen Allien on the Sunday are the 2 biggies for me.

Ash, Extreme, Lego Johnson & Gareth Bonello are the international acts on the other stages.

Its on dragon boat festival from Thursday to Sunday. That Monday morning is going to hurt.

Participant

Ash, are they still around? I remember them in my uni days (a long. long time ago). Extreme, well they had that awful hit, also a long long time ago. Both these bands are 15-20 years past their use-by dates. C’mon Big Love organisers, you can do better than that. I don’t expect the world’s biggest acts, but these are just two bizarre selctions. Why not Poison? They were big in the early ’90’s too….

Extreme? the boy group with that acapella love song? Hardly what I want to listen to at a summer music festival.

Participant
    Quote:
    Extreme? the boy group with that acapella love song? Hardly what I want to listen to at a summer music festival.

Not a boy band, here is their wikipedia page

Participant
    Quote:
    Ash, are they still around?

That was my first thought too. I had their album ‘1977’. I think it was released mid-nineties.

Looks like Big Love will have 4 stages. Electronic, Chengdu, Rock and Pop Stages.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    At The Drive-In reforming for Coachella? Damn, i’d almost jump on a plane just for those guys. Should be amazing….

They killed it, and I was pretty much in the mosh pit just to secure a position for Snoop Dogg, Dre, Eminem, and the Tupac hologram which was up next. At the Drive In was a great show though, despite the fact that they had a pretty simple stage setup. Radiohead the day before had an insane video and lighting setup and obviously Snoop and Dre had a hologramed long-dead rapper rock the place.

Participant

In a pleasant addition to last years festival, Xiong Mao will have a dedicated Electronic Music tent area that will be open later than the other stages.

http://www.chengdumusic.com/node/363

This week will announce the the Xiongmao Stage dynamic

and 尔鱼Tent group!http://www.douban.com/event/16206465/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 75 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.