Another episode of the podcast has been recorded and is now available, and it’s all about something very central to our lives: learning Chinese.
In this 55 minute podcast Zak, Dan, Eli and Charlie sit down and compare and contrast their methods, experiences, and pitfalls learning Chinese to help you learn from their successes and failures. As you will hear, we have all taken different very different approaches, from studying at Sichuan University to covering our walls with Post-It notes with Chinese characters.
Issues discussed in the podcast include:
- Is it worth signing up at a local university to study Chinese?
- Tips and tricks that have had the biggest impact on us
- Which tools are essential to the process of learning Chinese effectively?
- A list of our favorite online resources and smartphone apps for learners
- The advantages of learning Chinese, and finding motivation
- Much more
Download & Stream Links
Or click below to listen to the podcast now through your browser.
You can also search for the podcast in your favorite podcasting app (mine is Overcast, which I highly recommend for iPhone users).
Links Mentioned in the Podcast
Links to things mentioned in the podcast:
- Zhongwen Chinese-English Popup Browser Plugin (for Chrome)
- MDBG English-Chinese Dictionary (has great example sentences)
- Sinosplice Blog
- Hacking Chinese
- Chinesepod Podcast (costs money but great situational dialogues)
- Project Chrono (learning Chinese through Chrono Trigger)
- r/ChineseLanguage (Reddit community for Chinese learners)
- Chinese Grammar Wiki (amazing and growing resource)
- All Japanese All the Time (also includes Mandarin)
- Pleco Chinese Dictionary (the Godfather of all apps for Chinese learners)
- WaiChinese (an amazing new tool which gives feedback on tones)
- Memrise (an SRS learning tool which has HSK word-lists)
Note: if you’re learning Chinese, we also have a concise collection of posts on the subject of learning Chinese which you can find on our Post Series page.
Lastly, we used a Gold Panda song titled “Same Dream China” (which we love) for the intro and outro of this podcast. Check out Gold Panda on iTunes. Here’s a fan-made music video for this song on Youtube:
If you have any comments or feedback on this podcast or on topics you’d like us to discuss in the future, leave a comment below. If you enjoy the podcast, please share it! We look forward to recording more of these and continuing to chronicle and share the story of life in Chengdu.