Note: aside from the embedded podcast below, there is the Chengdu Underground Vibes documentary which is hosted on Youtube. If you’re viewing Chengdu Living from China, you will want to have a VPN on.
In this episode of the Chengdu Living podcast, Charlie sat down with local documentary producers Harry and Deven to talk about their most recent project, titled Chengdu Underground Vibes. Filmed and edited in the summer of 2016, this documentary is their most recent and most talked about, after producing some earlier works on subjects like electric bikes and tea house culture in Chengdu. In our conversation, we talk about subjects like:
- How Deven and Harry met and got started working together
- What inspires them to capture and publish local stories
- Their experience speaking to dozens of local musicians, promoters and musicians to create this documentary
- Our thoughts on Chengdu’s underground music scene: where it’s come from and where it’s going
- International and local participants of the music scene, and how they interact
- The peaks and valleys of the local scene: Dojo, The Poly Center, Strawberry Music Festival and more
- Future projects, and more stories which are waiting to be told
Download & Stream Links
Or click below to listen to the podcast now through your browser.
You can also search for the podcast in your favorite podcasting app (ours is Overcast, which we highly recommend for iPhone users).