Is Fu Guan Still Around?

HomeForumsIn ChengduIs Fu Guan Still Around?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The original Reggae Bar DJ… is he still DJing somewhere in the city?  Is he still living in the city?  Anybody know?

Keymaster

What’s his DJ name? That was so long ago I can’t remember who DJ’d there. A few people on the forum were around then and might know, though.

Participant

When I last lived in Chengdu (2001), Fu Guan didn’t have a DJ name, just went by his name (which is probably Hu Guan but he does the Sichuan thing of H->F).  He’s a French citizen and may have a French name, but I don’t know it.  I think back then he was talking about going to Africa, but I can’t remember if he said for travel or to live.

Anyway, it was just a thought.  I’m in town in business and just thinking back to the old days in Chengdu and wondered if he was still around.  No biggie.

Thanks much for taking the time to answer.

And you have a great site here, really great.  And I can tell be reading this site that you also have a great community here.  I wish you all well and hope you all have a wonderful time here in Chengdu.  I know I did, back in the day.

Keymaster

When I last lived in Chengdu (2001), Fu Guan didn’t have a DJ name, just went by his name (which is probably Hu Guan but he does the Sichuan thing of H->F).

Amazing, a true Chengdu old time expat. When I first came to Chengdu in 2005 the Reggae Bar was very popular but it was only open for about a year before closing down. A few people on this forum were around then, I remember Andy Mac and Dbassman DJ’ing at the final party there. We were all sad to see that place go, but it led to a string of similar reggae-themed venues (first Hemp House and then Jah Bar, both of which are still around but are kind of past their time).

I don’t think I ever met Fu Guan, though.

Thanks much for taking the time to answer. And you have a great site here, really great. And I can tell be reading this site that you also have a great community here. I wish you all well and hope you all have a wonderful time here in Chengdu. I know I did, back in the day.

My pleasure, thank you for the kind words!

Participant

When I get back to the US next month I’ll dig up some old photos, post them on flickr and put the link here.

I first arrived in Chengdu in 1992 as an English teacher at what was then Chengdu Keji Daxue.

I remember the excitement when the Reggae Bar opened in late 1994.

Fu Guan is originally a Sichuan resident relocated to France and one of the true greats of this city.

Keymaster

When I get back to the US next month I’ll dig up some old photos, post them on flickr and put the link here. I first arrived in Chengdu in 1992 as an English teacher at what was then Chengdu Keji Daxue. I remember the excitement when the Reggae Bar opened in late 1994. Fu Guan is originally a Sichuan resident relocated to France and one of the true greats of this city.

Holy shit, I can’t wait to see those photos. That university is still really famous in Chengdu and in China, within the top 10 in the tech industry nationwide.

Participant

A few people on this forum were around then, I remember Andy Mac and Dbassman DJ’ing at the final party there.

Not guilty. I arrived in Chengdu in 2007. Hemp House and Paname were the two best venues for DJs back then.

I was talking to Dave about this last night. He said it was him and Tom that played the final party and they also played the opening party. He doesn’t know who fu guan is either.

Keymaster

A few people on this forum were around then, I remember Andy Mac and Dbassman DJ’ing at the final party there.

Not guilty. I arrived in Chengdu in 2007. Hemp House and Paname were the two best venues for DJs back then. I was talking to Dave about this last night. He said it was him and Tom that played the final party and they also played the opening party. He doesn’t know who fu guan is either.

You’re right, my mistake, Dave & Tom. They used to play together a lot. Lots of memories of playing shows with Tom when I first came to Chengdu.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.