3 Years of VPN Service for $19

HomeForumsGeneral Discussion3 Years of VPN Service for $19

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

I got an email from MacBundle this morning about 3 years of VPN service with a company called VPN Unlimited that costs only $19. I haven’t used this service before, but I’m probably going to sign up because it’s so insanely cheap. Here’s a link: VPN Unlimited Premium Plan

It works on Windows and Mac and they have iOS and Android apps, too.

Participant

Notice the link at the bottom:

<Funded by the US Government Corporation 119 LLC., Homeland Security Department>

That’s very cheap. Looking forward to some feedback – namely, speeds/country piped to and whether they forward DMCA notices along!

Reading the comments poses some things to research deeper:
    “Marc Heusser • 2 months ago
    BEWARE! Does NOT work with standard VPN clients (confirmed with their tech support), will mess with other VPN setups (like using it on a Mac OS X with the standard Network preferences method of installing VPN, or doing the same using the standard VPN setup on an iPhone under iOS) – confirmed with their tech support. Will EXCLUSIVELY work with their App (confirmed by their tech support), need to download new config every time you switch country of the VPN server and MESSES UP your other VPN setups. NOT recommended. Plus does transmit your identity (e-mail used) on every connection attempt. This may be ok for watching videos but not for communication in an unsafe place like public WiFi or countries with a military dictatorship. Trying to cancel my subscription and get the money back.”

“Here is something i only discovered after signing up. Luckily i went for the test before buying. It doesn’t allow me to connect ANY torrent traffic. I emailed support, they said this is deliberate and quoted the following:

Do you allow the use of torrents and file-sharing traffic on all of your VPN Unlimited servers?

The primary goal of VPN Unlimited is not to download torrents, but to offer online security. There are limited cases, when our technical team had to decrease the connection speed because of the torrenting. VPN Unlimited is not oriented to be used widely for torrenting and file-sharing purposes only, but we believe that your online 100% guaranteed safety is our top priority and our customers’ top priority as well.”

“bigdogbruno99 • 2 months ago
    You guys. This company is located in Russia. Are you sure you want to trust a Russian company with full blown, un-disrupted, direct, encrypted access to your computers and devices? I know the NSA is bad, but if push comes to shove…..

Vasiliy Ivanov (their CEO) just needs a little pink and blue in his mohawk to spell bad guy from a new “HACKERS2” movie sequel 😛

Keymaster

Notice the link at the bottom: <Funded by the US Government Corporation 119 LLC., Homeland Security Department>

Where did you see this? I can’t find it.

I saw the comment thread also, but I’ll still give this a shot since the cost is so low and they have mobile phone apps.

There’s conflicting information in the comment thread, some saying they’re in NYC and subject to US laws, some saying they’re in Russia, etc. They have a blog post on their website which answers a lot of these questions about privacy though.

The bottom line on torrents is that you probably shouldn’t use any VPN for torrents, unless you set your own VPN up. There’s almost no point for us to do that anyway, since we’re in China and intellectual property laws are virtually nonexistent here.

At under $7 a year for VPN service, even with these concerns, I would consider this a good deal as long as it actually works.

Participant

I was joking about the funded by US etc stuff.. but the rest, namely: it’s not a NYC company, it’s a Russian company – and the ‘about’ page shows their staff, they’re all Russian. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with that…..but cybercrime in Russia is huge, and I don’t know that I’d trust being forced to use an app to manage my VPNs that some people claim messes with their other configurations. I don’t typically use VPN for torrents either, at all, but sometimes I want to continue downloading while I want to access VPN for other things without having to use multiple devices – and while I suppose that can be configured, StrongVPN bitches anytime I’m accidently connected to my VPN when I’ve also got a torrent app running..not a big deal, certainly not the priority.

Please update once you’ve got it going, very curious how it goes 😀

Participant

Just remember the old old adage.

If it sounds to good to be true the chances are it isn’t.

Keymaster

I signed up for this, it’s working well so far on iPhone. I haven’t tried it on Mac yet, but I will post here if I do and run into any problems.

Just remember the old old adage. If it sounds to good to be true the chances are it isn’t.

I think you mean the opposite of what you just said.

If it sounds to good to be true the chances are it isn’t.

I think you mean is. Was. Tiswas.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.