American Oldies/Soul/Motown/R&B Dance Parties?

HomeForumsIn ChengduAmerican Oldies/Soul/Motown/R&B Dance Parties?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Is this a thing that exists in Chengdu?

I’m envisaging San Francisco in the mid-2000’s,  Oldies Night at the Knockout and 1964 at Edinburgh Castle, $6 Tecates+a shot of Jameson, and The Marvelettes on vinyl.

If this is not a thing that exists, how realistic might it be to convince someplace with a dance floor to plug in an unprofessional playlist for a few hours every once in a while?

Cheers,

K

Keymaster

I can’t think of anywhere that would play this. I think a lot of places would be open to playing a playlist of music like this, though. San Francisco has amazing variety that is not in Chengdu yet.

Participant

I’m in DaZhou right now and they were dancing to the godfather of soul (that’s James Brown for you kids) last night. A surreal Chinese moment….

Keymaster

I’m in DaZhou right now and they were dancing to the godfather of soul (that’s James Brown for you kids) last night. A surreal Chinese moment….

That’s kind of amazing considering you were in Dazhou, a pretty remote place in Sichuan province.

Ray, you’re more hipster than me now.

Participant

I’ve been wanting to hear some decent classic rock (not sure exactly what you mean by American Oldies, but maybe it’s classic rock). I listen to a lot of it at home, but I’d love to hear it in a club or bar. I get really tired of hearing bad cover versions of great rock songs.

I’m actually considering going around to a few clubs and offering to do it for them, just so I can listen to it with friends (loud) .

I owned a disc jockey company for 11 years (1977-1988), and I still have most of the music. So, if someone wants to set something up, I can supply the music. In China, I only have access to what I put in digital format, but it’s still a couple of hundred albums and thousands of songs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.