Any South Africans in Chengdu?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAny South Africans in Chengdu?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m leaving for Chengdu in 2 months, from Durban 🙂

I was wondering if there are any South Africans over there who could give me any advice about what I should be cautious of, and what I should be sure to bring along.

I have heard one account of someone missing Nik-Naks, Camphor cream, and cheese 🙂

Participant

Hello, Tracy,

I’m from Pretoria. There are a lot of saffas in Chengdu! Do you have WeChat? That’ll be a very useful app in meeting new people (and fellow South Africans) once you get here.

Rooibos tea is not sold in supermarkets. Neither is Marmite.

And birth control is not sold over the counter and stuff for colds and flu are really different from what I’d say South Africans generally take. So think about stocking up on meds you’re used to taking. The air pollution hit me really hard when I first got here, so I think it’d be wise to bring along something for an upper-airway infection so you don’t have to deal with going to a doctor right away.

Participant

Hi Henali,

Thanks for your reply!

That’s really useful info, thanks 🙂

How do you find getting around with such a massive language difference, have you been learning the language?

I was kindof thinking I’d be able to just walk into a shop when I got there and get the basics – shampoo, soap, basic food etc, but I’m beginning to think I won’t even be able to recognise these if I saw them hahaha 🙂

How long have you been there?

Take care!

Tracey

Participant

Hi Tracey…I am also from Durban and leaving for Chengdu within the next month

Participant

birth control?! hwaahahahahah!!! sorry….

Participant

Hey Mark Joseph.
    Only saw this now!
    How has your first little bit been?

Participant

Oh, and hey there, troll!
    Howzit going there buddy?

Ha ha ha ha yes, birth control, very very important right!
    Actually I have found it really really easily available – I have seen it being sold just off the shelf.

Not sure if they ask you to whip out the old passport when you actually buy it, though…….?

Participant

Hi Tracey

I arrive in Chengdu next Sunday – and last minute advice you could offer ?

Many thanks,

Mark

Participant

Hey guys

We are a couple from SA moving to Chengdu in March. Please add us to the wechat group!

Wechat ID: Janet-Lamprecht

Thanks!!

Plus any items you guys suggest we pack??

Participant

I am coming over to Chengdu on the 3rd of February.  Thus I will land there on the 4th.  I am looking for someone, preferably a fellow South-African, to share an apartment with.  Please Whatsapp me:  +27796757758.  I have WeChat and Line too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.