Feedback on Chengdu Itinerary

HomeForumsIn ChengduFeedback on Chengdu Itinerary

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi! I’m visiting Chengdu in December and a person from four years ago posted a 5 day itinerary as follows:

Day 1

• Arrived in Chengdu
    • Check in and rest in hotel room.
    • Opera

Day 2

• Luodai Town
    • Wenshu Temple
    • Wenshu Street

Day 3

• Leshan (whole day)
    • Jinlin Street

Day 4

• Chengdu Research Base Center
    • Dufu Cottage
    • Jinsha Musuem
    • Hehuachi Market

Day 5

• Free and Easy
    • Departure @ 14:55

I’m not looking to visit any place in China that’s too remote for winter since this is only five days so I think Chengdu might have enough stuff to be interesting for five days bevause of its cultural sites.

I speak some Mandarin and I have no problem booking hotels.

I’m just wondering if this itinerary has enough of Chengdu’s interesting places or is it missing anything?

Or, alternatively, is there any reason I wouldn’t want to visit Chengdu in winter instead of a different city?

I previously considered Guilin area and Kunming but I read that they might be better summer destinations.

Thanks to any who provide feedback!

Participant

That itenery looks too ‘busy’ with places that are quite far apart from each other

For one day i reccomend: Wuhou Temple- Jinli street- Roman Holiday Plaza (all are within walking distance of each other

for 1 day you could also visit tianfu square meuseum, chunxi lu (shopping area) and Taikooli (newly opened shopping area set within an ‘ancient chinese esq-ness’

in the south there is also the ‘global centre’ which is one of the biggest building in the world, definately worth a visit.

Participant

OK, thanks for the head’s up. It looks like there’s a lot to do in Chengdu so I’ll just make my itinerary a little more convenient in terms of places close to each other.

Is there a good map app for Chengdu that tells you what public transportation to take to get to an area?

Participant

Even if Emei Shan changed a lot the last 15 years it’s still worth a visit, I would switch a day of the more “generic” Chengdu city stuff, “ancient streets” and shopping for that.

For Leshan, make sure you do the boat trip to see the great Buddha  from the river,it will be worth it, I promise 🙂

Also, eating at the veggie Wenshu restaurant is recommended.

Daniel

Participant

Agree with “pikachu”,  most of your destinations on your plan are far from each other, you may spend 2 and a half days just focus on the downtown, visit wenshu, jinli, etc, and then go to Leshan to see the great Buddha. Wish you a good trip.

Keymaster

I think Pikachu makes a good point. While you will hit a ton of the popular tourist spots, by being so busy, I think you might miss some of the Chengdu vibe. Which is slow, relaxed, and goes with the flow. If you can, you might want to reduce the number of fixed locations you’re planning to hit and allow yourself to play it by ear a bit. Often the best experiences you can have in Chengdu (or anywhere) are those which you do not plan for but happen spontaneously. Just my $0.02. Enjoy Chengdu!

Participant

If you do hit the Roman Holiday Plaza market the best day is Sunday.  Weekdays are just the regular vendors selling mostly trinkets.  Sundays people come in from all over Sichuan and you see some good stuff.  Also the established shops have good stuff but they can be pricey.  Also if you are in the area make sure you walk down what I call “Tibet Street” (some of the more veteran people can give you the actual name).  Lots of good stuff from Tibet.

Participant

Thanks, I really appreciate the suggestions.

Is Baidu maps a good app for getting directions around Chengdu?

Also, do any of you have a VPN recommendation? It’d be nice to access my email account in China.

Keymaster

Thanks, I really appreciate the suggestions. Is Baidu maps a good app for getting directions around Chengdu? Also, do any of you have a VPN recommendation? It’d be nice to access my email account in China.

Baidu Maps is great. They just added an augmented reality (AR) feature which shows you map destinations using the camera for walking around. Really cool. As far as VPNs, check out SocketPro.co.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.