Locating Herbs, Spices, and Sauces

HomeForumsIn ChengduLocating Herbs, Spices, and Sauces

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I will be living in Chengdu for the next ten months. I’m hoping someone could tell me if the following items can easily be found in the city:

1. oregano, Rosemary, basil, thyme, dill, parsley, mint (dried herbs)
    2. sea salt
    3. pink Himalayan salt
    4. Siracha sauce (the original: rooster picture with green bottle cap)
    5. ranch
    6. old bay
    7. cinnamon sticks
    8. tony chacheres creole seasoning
    9. Lawrys seasoned salt

Thanks in advance!

Keymaster

I think you can find all of these items, but a lot of them won’t be easily found in Chengdu. If you’re coming from the states or somewhere you can easily find these things, I would bring the non-perishables like seasonings with you.

oregano, Rosemary, basil, thyme, dill, parsley, mint (dried herbs) sea salt

These are easily found. Everything else is harder to find and/or you’ll be paying a premium for them.

Participant

OK, I like to cook and have some experience with this stuff. Some of these are easier than others.

1. Oregano and thyme you can get at Metro. Possibly basil too, I bought it there once but they don’t always have it. You can get an Italian spice mix but not sure you want that. Rosemary’s more difficult, I’ve not seen it but you can get a live plant of it from some of the plant vendors, it’s called Mi die xiang. Dill I’ve not seen. Parsley and mint they sometimes sell at the veggie markets, you just have to keep your eyes peeled. All this being said you can find almost any spice on Taobao.com for ~40 kuai (6 bucks).

2. Metro
    3. Not sure, never seen it but never looked.
    4. Taobao for 60 kuai.
    5. Metro
    6. Taobao probably
    7. They sell these on the street, actually it’s harder to find the powder. Check in the spice bags at the streetside vendors.
    8. Holy shit Tony’s! Bring this from home, although you can get giant bags of “Creole Seasoning” from Metro, haven’t tried it but can’t be that far off.
    9. No Lawry’s at Metro but they have seasoning salt. Also Taobao has Lawry’s.

So you’ll be able to find some of these but not all of them easily in Chengdu. But honestly you’d just be better off getting a Taobao account if you’re staying here long term and want Western food/spices; even at Metro you’re gonna pay more than you would online.

Participant

Thanks, just bringing old bay and tony chacheres.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.