In Need of Cantonese Food

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionIn Need of Cantonese Food

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Help!!

Participant

There are tons…what area are you in? if you want good cantonese but a little pricey there is GINGKO i go every once in a while when i feel the need for the good stuff, otherwise there a lots of lower end ones around.

Gingko address is:

Yinxing Jinge

2号 Jinli Middle Rd, Qingyang, Chengdu, Sichuan, China

+86 28 8666 6688 ‎ 80% cantonese 20% sichuan

Participant

You should head over to the Sun Kee Hong Kong Restaurant on the second floor of Champagne plaza. The manager, Alex, is from Canada and they might have an English menu by now. I know he was working on one a few weeks ago. I go at least once a week. Great food and a good price.

Participant

You gotta check out the Chinese restaurant in the Haiyatt Hotel on HongXing Lu (right by Chunxi Lu). It’s on top of Isetan so you can go inside there and take the elevator up to the 8th or 9th floor (can’t remember exactly, it will say in the elevator which floor the restaurants are on).

The restaurant serves Hong Kong style dishes and dim sum. Best Cantonese food I found in Chengdu, highly recommend it. And the price is not too exorbitant (definitely less than Gingko).

Participant

I also regularly need a Cantonese fix. There are many around but my favourite, by far, is the Hong Kong restaurant on the 7th floor of the Isetan department store on Chunxi Lu. I really recommend it.

I think Adam & Gary you’re talking about the same place. Elevators from both inside the ‘Hayatt’ and Isetan take you there, and I think it’s called ‘Moon Cafe’ or ‘Moon Restaurant’. I’ve eaten there a few times and it’s always good.

A better Cantonese restaurant (in my humble opinion) is up on the 9th floor of Chicony. They have a big menu, and considering the quality of the dishes it’s not expensive. I recently picked up a tab for 5 that came in at 360 RMB or so, and we all ate a fair bit.

Participant

Digged out a few Cantonese restaurants for you:

Cui Yuan
    418-419, F4 IFS, Chun Xi Road.

Tang Gong
    F2, Wanli Shouzhuo, #48 4th Section, Renmin Road South.

Ruxuan Seafood Porridge
    #267 Yi-Pin-Tian-Xia, Jiu Niu District

Hong Kong Tatest
    B1, Kaiyue Xincheng, #17 1st Section, South 1st Ring Road

Alternatively a Cantonese gourmet map:

Cantonese food map
    Cantonese food map

I am professional Chinese translator based in Chengdu.  Hope you enjoy the life in this city. 🙂

Keymaster

This is neat. Thanks for sharing, I will explore some of these. I used to go to the Hong Kong restaurant at the intersection of 人民南路 and 倪家桥 but it closed a while ago and since then I haven’t found a replacement.

Participant

Glad you liked my sharing. But don’t take them as “recommodation” yet – I did test out all of them…

If you can type and read Chinese, why don’t you try to use the 大众点评 or 百度糯米 (Web or mobile App) to search for Cantonese restaurants? I am sure you could easily locate a bunch of them in town…

Keymaster

If you can type and read Chinese, why don’t you try to use the 大众点评 or 百度糯米 (Web or mobile App) to search for Cantonese restaurants? I am sure you could easily locate a bunch of them in town…

That’s a good suggestion. I haven’t used 大众点评 recently and I this is the first time I’ve heard of 百度糯米.

Participant

I quite like Cantonese food and the two places I hit up are Rose and Wuu’s.

Rose is a chain restaurant with 4 or 5 in Chengdu (CXL, TV Tower, Jinsha, North Wanda, LKF) and its very good for the price (well under 100). They are all pretty consistent regardless of which one you go to, but the one in CXL just accross the road from Parksons mall and horizontal from LV at IFS is usually slightly better, plus it genuinely feels like you are in HK inside.

Wuu’s is a year or 2 old in TKL (upstairs from blue frog), always busy, but very good. Slightly more expensive (100+) but thats TKL for you. They mist have over 100 pages of menu, so it can be slightly overwhelming.

Keymaster

I quite like Cantonese food and the two places I hit up are Rose and Wuu’s. Rose is a chain restaurant with 4 or 5 in Chengdu (CXL, TV Tower, Jinsha, North Wanda, LKF) and its very good for the price (well under 100). They are all pretty consistent regardless of which one you go to, but the one in CXL just accross the road from Parksons mall and horizontal from LV at IFS is usually slightly better, plus it genuinely feels like you are in HK inside. Wuu’s is a year or 2 old in TKL (upstairs from blue frog), always busy, but very good. Slightly more expensive (100+) but thats TKL for you. They mist have over 100 pages of menu, so it can be slightly overwhelming.

That sounds great. Most of the places I’ve been in Taikoo Li (including Blue Frog) cost a lot but are worth it. That area does a great job of striking a balance between commerciality, quality and local flavor.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.