Mask or No Mask (and if Mask what type)

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMask or No Mask (and if Mask what type)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

My profile explains my joining this site, something I’ve been following for a few months now … which I think is fantastic!

There are numerous inquiries I have about several things not found in the Forum archives (one inquiry already emailed directly to SmartAir) but will start with the above. Can I survive for 3-4 weeks without a mask if I have no intention of biking, running, etc. with my primary exercise walking (maybe Bus?/Taxi?) to “explore Chengdu”? If it’s recommended I wear one, what can I “get away with”?

PS: Can’t wait to try Mike’s Pizza, Johnny 5 Donuts and shop at Yimin Produce Market! 😉

Participant

Welcome to Chengdu & the CL Forum!

You can totally get by without a mask or respirator if you’re just here for a few weeks at a time.  It’s recommended if you have any respiratory issues to wear one.  Personally we’d advise a mask regardless if the air quality is exceedingly bad.

If you plan to be here for a longer time it’s worth considering adapting your habits to regularly use filters both out and about and at home.

Also, Mike’s and J5 are awesome and conveniently located next door to each other.

Participant

Hell … pizza & donuts next door to each other? I can’t find a Nirvana like that here in Auckland! 😉

Thanks Peg, that’s reassuring. Was thinking of bringing a few of the “cheapie” masks I still have lying around when I sand & anti-foul below the water-line of the boat. Perhaps to use when walking along traffic clogged streets with cars belching fumes.

Participant

Well its not Beijing here so short time without mask is ok. But now is a bad time pollution wise, so be warned.

If you’re fine with looks, respro served me well. Comes in all colors, pink included (for you, perverts and blondes) /advertisement ends.

Keymaster

Welcome!

The talking dog gives good advice. You are coming at a time when the worst pollution of the year is behind us, but we still occasionally have bad air days (which I consider to be when the AQI is over 200, which is when I wear a Respro mask bought at Natooke here in Chengdu). Natooke is a good place to visit if you need a mask, I believe they have a few different models for sale and they can talk you through the differences between them.

We also have a few articles published about protecting yourself from pollution like this one: How to Handle Chengdu’s Pollution Like a Pro

Enjoy Mike’s and Johnny’s, they are fine establishments. The produce market is also a great place to see local culture, try some new foods, and get ingredients for cheap.

Participant

Hello!
    Pollution, like smoking, is a long-term killer not a short-term hazard. Unless you are suffering from asthma or related lung problems don’t worry about it if you are only here for a few weeks. We live here and wear masks as a habit when aqi gets above 150, though the kids refuse to do so. If you do decide on a mask, it only makes sense to use one that completely seals off any air flows other than through the mask. Respro and Totobobo are the only ones that are almost able to do that. Any other mask including surgical, hobby, dust, etc. are useless.

Have fun!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.