We're Not in Top-10 Expat-Populated Provinces?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWe're Not in Top-10 Expat-Populated Provinces?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Is this to say there are less than 24,000 foreigners in Sichuan?
    (image from this fairly sparse article)

Full resolution image

Participant

Not necessarily. The point of the diagram seems to want to demonstrate the coastal occupancy, and groups the interior all as “other” with a total of 97000. 96000 of those could potentially be in Sichuan..that’s not the point of the diagram, though.

Oh I didn’t notice the “other” category since it’s pointing to Heilongjiang. Sorta confused graphic in general, emphasizing coastal occupancy and including Yunnan, and mentioning tier-1 cities in the blurb but highlighting provinces in the graphic. I’m sorry for wasting anyone’s time with this.

What’s mind-boggling to me is the difficulty of finding an official number through google or baidu.

Keymaster

The gulf between somewhere like Shanghai or Beijing and Chengdu, in terms of expat population, is enormous. But I wouldn’t expect many other cities in China to have a larger expat population than Chengdu (maybe just Shenzhen and Guangzhou). Most of the other provincial capitals that I’ve been to (Kunming, Guiyang, Lanzhou, Urumqi, Changsha, Wuhan, etc) seem to have noticeably smaller expat populations than Chengdu.

Participant

I felt like every other person I met in Kunming was a foreigner. It makes sense too, because it’s a super cool town that seems super livable. In fact, I wonder why I don’t live there?

Keymaster

I felt like every other person I met in Kunming was a foreigner. It makes sense too, because it’s a super cool town that seems super livable. In fact, I wonder why I don’t live there?

It is a totally livable city. It’s a wonderful place. The only thing Kunming doesn’t have going for it is it has a tiny fraction of the job opportunities that Chengdu has. It’s also a much less dynamic and active city in terms of growth and development. But it has great food, clean air, friendly people, and the best weather of any capital city in China.

Participant

Check this article out:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:qgniSv8RtZIJ:www.echinacities.com/news/25000-Foreigners-in-Chengdu-16-of-Shanghai-and-18-of-Beijing+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

25,000 expats are said to live in Chengdu. Didn’t get the original source for that number though…

On a side note, how much I hope I had found this forum before I left Chengdu this winter….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.