Smart Air Workshop, Sunday @ Bookworm

HomeForumsIn ChengduSmart Air Workshop, Sunday @ Bookworm

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

I vacuum the shit out of my air filters, seems to work well

Smart Air recently published a blog post stating that HEPA filters should be good for at least 90 days, if not more. At that point the filter will look black, but they’re actually still effective. Vacuuming them might change the appearance but according to Smart Air and the filter manufacturers, these are not cleanable and need to be replaced.

Participant

“these are not cleanable and need to be replaced”

Sure – eventually I do that too. But, when I vacuum them – the goal isn’t for me to clean the actual filter fibres at the core nor suck the particles they’ve glued into their mesh, but the loads of particles and dirt/shit that clogs them up on the outside. When I run the vacuum over the filter it sucks up a _lot_ of straight up black dirt, when I empty it, I know there’s that much _less_ crap between the air floating around my apartment and the filtration system. There is occasionally cat hair, lint-type stuff, and straight up black dirt. It is certainly better not to have a layer of that on the entrance-side of the air filter. The exit (facing in) is often still looking clean when that pile of crap is fully loaded on the other.

Keymaster

It is certainly better not to have a layer of that on the entrance-side of the air filter.

According to their tests, the visible gunk collected after 90 days doesn’t seem to compromise the effectiveness much at all:

Participant

That might be true, so – don’t clean yours, I feel better keeping mine clean, so I’ll clean mine. 😀

I have to agree with Rick on this. If you have pets that are shedding because of the warm weather then it definitely affects the CADR. Many commercial air filters include a cleanable pre-filter for this exact reason.

Participant

After I took the pic last week there hasn’t been much change in colour. I think over the first few days it must have picked up a lot of dust… I was wondering how the other members of the workshops filters are looking?

Participant

Yeah! I’d love to see pictures of how the filters are looking. Here’s a picture of the filter from our longevity test at 90 days:

http://particlecounting.tumblr.com/post/86354899938/how-long-do-smart-air-hepas-last-at-least-90-days

Participant

How do people feel about their filter?  I saw a pic of Charlie’s and it was jet black.  I have been working in Xiamen for the last two weeks and I can definitly feel a difference in my energy levels.

Keymaster

How do people feel about their filter? I saw a pic of Charlie’s and it was jet black. I have been working in Xiamen for the last two weeks and I can definitly feel a difference in my energy levels.

Working great. And yes, jet black after 3 months! Keep in mind, this is with two filters running in the same living room, running about 12 hours a day. Occasionally the windows are open if the pollution isn’t bad.

Smart Air recently updated its Particle Counting tumblr with updated information on longevity. After 100 days the filters are 80% effective, so that seems like a good time to switch at 80rmb in my opinion.

Keymaster

By the way, I recently published a review of the SamoAir pm2.5 measuring device: SamoAir Review. This is a 200rmb device which measures pm2.5 levels inside your house or anywhere, which is a really economical way to test the effectiveness of air filters in your home.

Participant

By the way, I recently published a review of the SamoAir pm2.5 measuring device: SamoAir Review. This is a 200rmb device which measures pm2.5 levels inside your house or anywhere, which is a really economical way to test the effectiveness of air filters in your home.

Looks like a neat kit. Another alternative is to buy the sensor for around 25-30RMB and hook it up to a Raspberry Pi/Arduino/similar device. Pretty neat if you anyways got one at home running 24/7. http://s.taobao.com/search?q=GP2Y1010AU0F

This is probably the sensor SamoAir is using, but I’m not 100% sure.

Keymaster

Looks like a neat kit. Another alternative is to buy the sensor for around 25-30RMB and hook it up to a Raspberry Pi/Arduino/similar device. Pretty neat if you anyways got one at home running 24/7. http://s.taobao.com/search?q=GP2Y1010AU0F This is probably the sensor SamoAir is using, but I’m not 100% sure.

Yup, definitely the same sensor! Amazing how cheap this stuff is.

Participant
    Participant
    Participant
    Keymaster

My filters are working overtime today…. http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/dec/16/beijing-airpocalypse-city-almost-uninhabitable-pollution-china

That was a great article. Beijing’s situation sounds a lot more serious than Chengdu, but I wonder if we won’t be there eventually. Recently I’ve met a lot of visitors coming to Chengdu who are surprised to find the city polluted (“I thought this was a clean city”).

Participant

I think 2014 was pretty good compared to 2013/2012 for Chengdu.  Maybe the construction of the 2nd ring made a big impact.

Keymaster

I think 2014 was pretty good compared to 2013/2012 for Chengdu. Maybe the construction of the 2nd ring made a big impact.

Right, it has. Sascha collected data on this for an article he wrote here a while back, but in the last half of 2014. The pollution decreased in Chengdu in 2014.

Participant

Not sure if this data has been made available before, but is there a calculation for the (chosen) filters capacity/saturation point of PM 5, and/or PM 2.5 particulate?

Just curious after reading through the data on the 200 day results.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.