Visa Renewal Question

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionVisa Renewal Question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys, I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a visa renewal question. Basically I’m on a student Visa now that expires April 10th. I was planning to do the second semester at Sichuan U, but I’m currently in Taiwan so I’m not sure when I’ll be back.

My question is this: First, does anyone know if theres a certain time before my current visa expires that I will have to apply for the new student one (I’m worried that I won’t be let back into china if there’s only a few weeks left on it)

Second, if I DON’T do the second semester, is it possible either in Hong Kong or Chengdu to get a 3 month tourist visa before the student one expires (or something like this that would allow me to stay a few months without paying tuition)

Sorry for the long post, and I hope that it’s clear enough to understand. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Participant

@deven

There isn’t a time to apply before the current one expires – you can apply the day before it expires and it’s all good. You just can’t go over the expiry date…well, if you do, within 10 days you just need to do additional paperwork – over 10 days you pay 500rmb/day over. Just make sure you’ve submitted application or left beforehand.

As for 3 month tourist visa – if you’re extending a current visa or switching to tourist visa I’m almost certain you can only do 1 month extensions at a time with a limit of I think it’s 2 1 month extensions? If you go to Hong Kong, however, you can certainly apply for the 3 month tourist visa.

Hope this helps.

Keymaster

Maybe the only way to be sure about this will be to contact the school and explain the situation. In my experience, as long as I submit my visa forms before it’s expired, I haven’t had a problem. I do that pretty regularly, actually.

I’m not sure if you can have overlapping visas as you describe, but the visa office in Hong Kong will definitely be able to answer that question for you.

Good luck!

Participant

If you go to Hong Kong, however, you can certainly apply for the 3 month tourist visa.

Is it easy to get 3 month tourist visas in Hong Kong nowadays? Through agencies there? Which agency?

Participant

I used an agency in TST called something like Japan Travel before, after the whole F visa thing was killed they hooked my friend up with a 3 month travel visa when he went down to renew.

I haven’t had to get a 3 month tourist visa in HK, but when I was back in Canada doing some visa ish in January the only thing required to apply for the 3 month travel visa was ticking the 3 month box…I wouldn’t even bother going thru an agent and just head to the embassy for a visa directly, in Wan Chai near the star ferry terminal.

Note: the japan place I went before, seems they killed their service.. may be able to contact and ask for other options/information still tho: http://www.jta.biz/chinavisa/china_visa.htm

Participant

Thanks Rick. Sent them an email asking if they still do visas or refer customers to another agency. Also contacted Forever Bright Trading. I’ve done visas through them before, up ’til a year and a half ago or so. At that time my business visa application through FBT was rejected.

Participant

I’d only use Hong Kong as a last resort, and definitely ask an agency before going. The visa situation there tends to change a lot, without notice. You can’t count on getting at least 3 months for a tourist visa anymore like it used to be. I think they generally give out shorter durations in HK too, compared to if you apply in your home country. And of course it depends on your nationality and their mood that day.

It’s a gamble that might or might not save you some money. Safest and most hastle free would be to enroll for another semester at one of those Unis where you don’t really have to attend classes.

Participant

Awesome, thank you guys for the advice. If I end up doing the Hong Kong thing or finding out any additional info I’ll post about it

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.