Where Are All the Convenience Stores Going?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhere Are All the Convenience Stores Going?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

First it was a 7/11 in my neighborhood. Then it was another one I frequented near Chuan Da. Then I saw a Hongqi closing down.

I’ve talked with other folks living in different parts of the city and it seems convenience stores (mainly our beloved Asahi-selling 7/11)  have been disappearing over the past month. Can anybody corroborate/does anyone have any insight? I’m. So. Scared.

Participant

The 7/11 tactic for new cities is to swamp the market to try to kill off local competition like Wowo and Hongqi then after a year or two review their strategy.  They open their own company stores and franchise stores.  The company stores are closings and most of the franchise stores are staying open in the most profitable locations.  Regards to Honqi I think they are still going strong as they are a local Chengdu brand.

Participant

I’ve noticed this a bit too.. and it is indeed worrying. Just because it’s winter it doesn’t mean I want a warm beer! I hope that 7/11 are just trimming a bit of fat, because it seems that in a lot of spots there were two or three all super close to each other, and you don’t need that many within a couple minutes walk of each other.

Keymaster

I’ve noticed this a bit too.. and it is indeed worrying. Just because it’s winter it doesn’t mean I want a warm beer! I hope that 7/11 are just trimming a bit of fat, because it seems that in a lot of spots there were two or three all super close to each other, and you don’t need that many within a couple minutes walk of each other.

In the late fall and winter, most convenience stores will turn off their refrigerators for everything but dairy. Impossible to get cold drinks at most places during this time of year.

Participant

“and you don’t need that many within a couple minutes walk of each other.”

Depends how fast you drink. 😀

Hang tight, there’s a NQRFTUWKQ inconvenience store opening up near you shortly. Luke warm Ice Beer for everyone.

Participant

Hang tight, there’s a NQRFTUWKQ inconvenience store opening up near you shortly. Luke warm Ice Beer for everyone.

null

I still wonder what the thought process is behind those. If any.

I still wonder what the thought process…

Let me stop you right there…

Edit: Wait… What if it’s the genius deciphering of a sound made by a bike, hence the logo…?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.