Open Data in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionOpen Data in Chengdu

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Dear all,

I am organizing an event about open data in Chengdu during the coming month of november. If you re interested about this topic, plz feel free to contact me.

What i am looking for:

> any tips about open data in China (risk? opportunity?)

> apps/data.. needed/desired

> China’s experts

> Ideally, I’d like to show how open data could help sustainable road mobility (traffic, pollution, congestion, multi modality, etc.)

many thanks for your precious help

Keymaster

Do you know Bruce? If not, the timing of this is amazingly coincidental.

I am interested in meeting about this but I assume that you mean March or April, not November?

Participant

thx for your prompt reply! 🙂

I am preparing an event (not sure about the format: conference, call for app’ideas, hackathon) to promote sustainable mobility… during a global event which will be hosted in Chengdu the coming november 🙂

After reading few articles, I ve noticed the name of Bruce, but I don’t know him yet 🙂 and few others…

Do you have any other sites where i can find ex of existing apps?

Keymaster

I just published a guest post by Bruce Haupt, an American guy involved in open data who recently moved to Chengdu. Check it out here, you definitely need to meet this guy: Opening Data in Chengdu for All

Participant

thx a lot! I will definitly try to meet this Bruce 🙂

Participant

For the uninitiated, “open data” and “civic innovation” describe a type of public initiative, often government or non-profit led, to collect useful datasets and distribute them online in machine-readable formats. The goal of these projects is to fuel entrepreneurs and researchers by increasing data accessibility, and improve public institutions by increasing transparency and civic participation.

And now, for those of us who are still in real world, can somebody explain in simple words what is this all about?

Keymaster

for those of us who are still in real world, can somebody explain in simple words what is this all about?

Open data is the idea that certain data should be freely available to everyone to use and republish as they wish, without restrictions from copyright, patents or other mechanisms of control.

tl;dr: open data is access to practical information about the city you live in

Participant

I don’t know what happened, but I submit a response earlier today… hmm… personal problems. Anyway… :-/

@adrienr
    : Feel free to be in touch. I’d be happy to help any way I can and would love to meet up some time soon. My email address is [email protected]

@Al
    the Dead: Let me know if you’d like more info. I had an actual response to you in my dearly departed earlier draft, and would still be happy to talk more on some simple real world examples.

@everyone else: For anyone who’s interested or curious, I’d like to host a get together in a couple weeks to talk more about open data in person to see what people might be interested in. I’m thinking the evening of 3/18, 3/19, or 3/20. If you’re interested, email me at [email protected]

Participant

Thx Charlie 🙂

Participant

@brucehaupt , thx a lot! I will contact you through your email.

btw, anyone knows about the type of licence used for open data in China?

Participant

@adrienr: It depends based on the data. From what I’ve seen this tends to still be an open issue on a lot of government data. I’d encourage you to join Open Data China (http://opendatachina.com/) and seek out answers via the google group. Are there any sets of data you’re currently looking at and curious about?

@everyone: For a meetup in the next few weeks, how about we do Tuesday, March 25th, meeting up at 7pm. We can do dinner and talk more on open data/innovation and next steps. If interested, please RSVP by sending me an email at [email protected] to make sure we end up with a table with enough seats.

Bruce

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.