Any Micro-breweries and/or distilleries?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAny Micro-breweries and/or distilleries?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Yeah the title says all. Or any good bears that can be bought in stores for that matter as I’m sick of the large big beer companies here in China.

Keymaster

There is a local micro brew called Harvest Beer, but it’s difficult to find. Every once and a while you’ll see it available at big events in Chengdu like at the Hemp House birthday party every year. Otherwise, places like Machu Picchu and the Leg & Whistle have a pretty good selection of beer.

Try across the street from Leg & Whistle. On the second floor above the WOWO there is a bar called Left Bank and little down the way still on the second floor there is another one called “Ostrich Bar,” same owner. This guy has the best brews in town at decent prices. Belgian, German, American micros, British, whatever.

Participant

I second the place opposite the Leg & Whistle for imported bottles.

The Kempinski has a real micro brewery and pretty good draft. though prices are high.

You can get boddingtons and speckled hen at carrefour in Tongzilin sometimes.

the Mug bar at Egret Island has some draft, which is OK, they have a happy hour early on.

http://www.chengdubeer.com are trying to generate interest and catalog whats available here. they have a facebook page too. and they make a small run of their own beer, available sometimes at a couple of places.

there’s all kinds of weird and wonderful ‘German’ beers now in many supermarkets, I don’t recommend any of them, I’ve tried many.

When I’m tired of Snow, I often just go for Asahi from Seven-11, I think it’s hard to beat on the convenience/taste/value front.

there are a couple of other more Chinese places that have some kind of draft, but none stand out for me.

the Lazy Pug has a couple of west coast bottles which are very nice.

tuborg kicks around some supermarkets, but it’s a Chinese version, and tastes allot more like Snow than it does Danish Tuborg.

http://www.goldenhans.com/is a comedy Brazilian style, Bavarian Theme chain restaurant, that have draft Dark and Yellow, which is OK, but on occasion they do have Groupon’s for all you can eat and drink 10 kuai, which with the right company you just can’t go wrong. they have boat races there which is fun with locals.

the big Fish Head hotpot luxury chain place on Renmin nan lu kinda opposite regal master has draft, maybe micro brew I think. PM me if you wanna go there, nothing beats a winning – beer and fish head hotpot combo 😉

I’m guessing Taobao might offer some interesting options of course too.

If you find something else please mention, or want some company to try, feel free to PM me, I have some interest in the topic too.

Participant

Any of them brew up anything good using local spices and flavors that is something deliciously different from what is found back in the states (and impossible to get there)? But perhaps I’m asking for too much as I’m expecting someone as passionate about beer as some of the people I met while in beer country (that is Colorado).

Participant
    Quote:
    Any of them brew up anything good using local spices and flavors that is something deliciously different from what is found back in the states (and impossible to get there)?

Yes, they brew a beer using Sichuan ma la. It’s tasty. They are opening a bar in the next month or two at American Gardens (intersection of S. 3rd Ring and Airport Expressway). You’ll probably be able to read all about it on their website http://www.chengdubeer.com when they open.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Yes, they brew a beer using Sichuan ma la. It’s tasty. They are opening a bar in the next month or two at American Gardens (intersection of S. 3rd Ring and Airport Expressway). You’ll probably be able to read all about it on their website http://www.chengdubeer.com when they open.

Wow, that is great news. Looking forward to trying the ma la beer especially.

Participant
    Quote:
    Wow, that is great news. Looking forward to trying the ma la beer especially

+1

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.