Moving To Chengdu

HomeForumsClassifiedsPersonalsMoving To Chengdu

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

My name’s Alex. 23. Gonna move to Chengdu for 5 months to work starting the end of February ’13. Does anyone know a good hangout place where a guy could meet new friends in Chengdu, whether locals or expats I really don’t care. I love sports, soccer, basketball, badminton, you name it, any sports club there in Chengdu? Also since I’ll have quite a lot of free time I wanna take up some Chinese lessons, so some information on Chinese classes there would be helpful.

Thanks

Participant

Any KTV/bar will get you tons of social contacts.

Only dead chinese doesnt play basketball, so its no problem. Tons of soccer and badminton too.

As for classes – finding a private teachers is about as easy as going yo lunch. Average rate is 80 RMB hour atm.

Participant

Hmm.. So what bars or clubs that’s popular in Chengdu? How’s the nightlife there? And the girls (general attitude)? Timid? Open? Wild? Reserved?

About the classes, I’ve never had any Chinese teachings before, having that said do you think a one-on-one session is better than going to a small class?

Participant

http://www.chengduplaces.com/listingtype/bar/ – this can get you started. Use search, Luke. And dont bother with Jellyfish and the like at start.

As for girls – thats not to me, since i prefer to use plain simple prostitutes. So i still have no idea about Chengdu girls, except there ARE some worth hitting on.

For classes i really recommended you 1 on 1 based on you stay duration. Its 5 months so all you really need is some conversational chinese. If you would have stayed here longer than it would be a full scale course. Assuming ofc that you would be able to combine chinese courses with work, which is not an easy feat. Im here 4 months already and still havent found myself a job which would combine well with my full scale chinese courses.

Participant

Ignore the john, check out jellyfish/paname and see if it’s your scene. There’s a reason it’s busy til the wee hours. Should really use your first week or whatever heading to a couple different venues and see what suits you best, so your next few months are better spent 😀

Participant

Thanks for all the tips, I’m open to more any more advice. I’m currently in Chengdu now, but will be heading to Beijing tomorrow, then go back to Chengdu the next week. So if there’s any gatherings or meet ups around those date, do share.

Quote:
    check out jellyfish/paname and see if it’s your scene.

Yes, I’ll try to check all the places above and see if it fits me. I did do some readings here and The Bookworm seems like a cozy place to chill on the weekends, so I’ll definitely check that place out.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Yes, I’ll try to check all the places above and see if it fits me. I did do some readings here and The Bookworm seems like a cozy place to chill on the weekends, so I’ll definitely check that place out.

Definitely check out the Bookworm and have a look at all of the places listed on the page that Alexey linked to.

Jellyfish is worth checking out, I guess, to see if it’s your scene like Rick suggests. I can’t stand the place and none of my friends ever go there, either. It is popular with a certain Chengdu demographic though.

Participant
    Quote:
    As for girls – thats not to me, since i prefer to use plain simple prostitutes. So i still have no idea about Chengdu girls, except there ARE some worth hitting on.

Rofl. I love the brutal honesty.

Anyways, good thread, I’m arriving here soon myself in order to study so I’ll definitely use the tips in this thread. 🙂

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Rofl. I love the brutal honesty.

That’s exactly what I was thinking, hahah.

Participant

Gonna head out tonight (14th). Maybe the Jellyfish or Paname just to check out the place, a possibility of The Bookworm tomorrow. Anyways holla if you guys are planning the same thing.

Participant

If you’re new to Chengdu I think you’ll have fun at Paname, not many other places will have many foreigners out and about on a Monday 😉 Have fun

Participant
    Quote:
    not many other places will have many foreigners out and about on a Monday 😉

Checked it out. Pretty fun place. I just had the Monday blues, I guess. Haha.

Instead of hanging out in the “lawai” hangouts how about spending time in the fresh air having a good time, meeting all sorts of people? I am talking about the English Corner on Friday evenings (+/-7.30pm) in the park by the river just off RenminNanLu. I have met some of my best friends there, beats getting industrial deafness and hangovers from most of the “entertainment” places around town (OK,so you won’t get deaf in Bookworm)

Participant
    Quote:
    I am talking about the English Corner on Friday evenings (+/-7.30pm) in the park by the river just off RenminNanLu.

I did not know that. Thanks a lot Richard for the info, I’ll definitely check the English corner.

Basically I’m open to any thing while I’m trying to get my bearings around this city.

Anyways, quick random question: Are the cabs in this town really that awful? I’ve had encountered one or two lousy cab drivers in France, Australia, Singapore, Indonesia, Netherlands, you name it, even Beijing but nothing compares to the cabs here. They make me feel like I’m in a “Need For Speed” video game. I do speak a little Chinese, just enough to get me around, but when the drivers talk to me, I was like….

31287295.jpg

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Anyways, quick random question: Are the cabs in this town really that awful? I’ve had encountered one or two lousy cab drivers in France, Australia, Singapore, Indonesia, Netherlands, you name it, even Beijing but nothing compares to the cabs here.

Not really, Beijing taxi drivers are far worse than here. Everyone drives crazy in China by Western standards but Beijing taxi’s have the worst reputation by far, and deservedly so from my experience.

Participant

Anyway, a nice day outside. Though it’s still kinda hazy but hey, who am I to complain, the last few days I stayed here was like a coffee shop in Amsterdam.

Anyone out and about?

Quote:
    but when the drivers talk to me, I was like….

Gotta learn your sichuan hua

Participant
    Quote:
    Gotta learn your sichuan hua

yeah I know, but 368q7q.jpg

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Personals’ is closed to new topics and replies.