This is the Worst I've Seen…

HomeForumsIn ChengduThis is the Worst I've Seen…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

From this morning:

chengdu-pm25.jpg

Holy mother of god. That is not good. Hold your breath, man.

Participant

I just checked mine and it said 126 or something. I checked the history of the past 48 hours and it said it didnt go that high. Must’ve been an error or something….hopefully.

You can see how bad it is today. This really doesn’t seem to register with many here. Even when I’m keeping my apartment spotless I’m seeing a fine black film build up on surfaces very quickly.

Also been noticing some evil chemical vapours kicking off in the Line 2 subway corridors every time I’ve been through. God only knows what that is!

Oh China!

Participant

Which app is this???

It’s called China Air Quality, and it’s awesome. I don’t know if they have an android app, but the iPhone one is great.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I just checked mine and it said 126 or something. I checked the history of the past 48 hours and it said it didnt go that high. Must’ve been an error or something….hopefully.

Unfortunately it doesn’t look like an error. There are two figures for measuring pollution in China: those supplied by the Chinese government and those supplied by the US government. According to the Chinese figures, today is “Slightly polluted” and comes with a rating of over 100. The official US Consulate Chengdu twitter feed shows really high values.

It looks like Chengdu has the highest pollution in China, for today at least. Check this out:

chengdu-cities.jpg

Quote:
    Which app is this???

Here’s a link to the app, it’s free and really good: China Air Pollution Index

Downloading this now so I can get a daily count on the parts per billion gunk I’m sucking in with each breath.

Participant

Why did I quit smoking again?

Participant

What happened? This figure is only supposed to appear in sci fi movies.

But it’s ok actually, since it’s already 2012, I guess the figure of other cities on the earth will soon become as high as this, too. So, whatever

Participant

Today is hazardous according to the consulate’s twitter.

Participant

agh, I don’t want to see that.

Half the reason I am moving from Beijing is because the pollution there is terrible and I want my son to grow up breathing something cleaner. I can’t believe Chengdu can be like Beijing, it’s such a nicer environment here, not trapped in a depression like Beijing with no wind. Every time I’ve been to Chengdu before the weather has been super clean and the streets (traffic) super smooth (comparatively). Have I chosen it 5 years too late to make the switch?

Maybe I better just stay in this remote mountain village half way to Lhasa.

I did some heavy pedaling around the city the other morning and was coughing up my lungs throughout the afternoon, with plenty of nasty phlegm. Gonna start wearing a mask now.

320?

Not impressed.

In Beijing it went way beyond 500 occasionaly.

After three years of training my lungs should be well adjusted to this ‘minor’ pollution. 😉

Participant

Oh gawd, I really wish I hadn’t read this thread 🙁

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Half the reason I am moving from Beijing is because the pollution there is terrible and I want my son to grow up breathing something cleaner. I can’t believe Chengdu can be like Beijing, it’s such a nicer environment here, not trapped in a depression like Beijing with no wind.

I think today is an anomaly, although I’m not sure what it is that’s special about today in particular. I check the pollution levels almost everyday and this is by far the highest I’ve seen it. By a factor of almost two, actually.

Quote:
    320? Not impressed. In Beijing it went way beyond 500 occasionaly.

Hahahah

Quote:
    Gonna start wearing a mask now.

What kind of mask are you going to get? I assume you’re not talking about the simple cloth type.

Participant

There’s an android app (and widget) at:

http://goo.gl/055vn

Though I don’t think it’s the same developers, I don’t think any of the data is from the US consulate. It does seem to have 8 other data sets for Chengdu.

android-pollution.jpg

Does anyone know of an Android App that takes it’s data from the US Consulate?

Participant

A quick search on the play store turned up this one which says it uses the Consulate date.

I haven’t tried it yet, so I can’t vouch for it. But, I’ll give it a shot when I get home.

Participant
    Quote:
    A quick search on the play store turned up this one which says it uses the Consulate date.

I haven’t tried it yet, so I can’t vouch for it. But, I’ll give it a shot when I get home.

Thanks, seems to work a treat. I’m going to have it side by side with the other one. See if there’s a big difference.

Participant

I prefer pretending nothing is going on and wander through life not thinking about it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.