A few questions….

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionA few questions….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hey what’s up,

As you can see my name is Justin. Right now, I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and I’m thinking of moving to Chengdu. ( I bet you’ve never seen a post like this )

I have recently completed my 100 hour TESOL/TEFL course but I do no have a Bachelor’s degree.

I realize this handicaps my chances, but is there a way around this?

And, if so, would I be able to obtain a Z visa?

I saw a job listing from this guy Pascal at Pumpkin English. Has anyone heard of this school?

This is what he sent as a reply:

Hello Justin,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to the positions we posted online. My name is Pascal, I am a teacher at Pumpkin English and also responsible for the recruitment of new teachers.

In answer to your question, the issue with not having a degree is visa related in China. The vast majority of schools will not be able to assist you in procuring a proper working visa without a bachelors degree, however, basis the location of our schools and relationships in government, it is something we are able to do.

A few quick questions from this end. Where are you located at present? When were you looking to begin in a potential position with us? Would you be willing to consider a position with us in a location other than Chengdu (we have centers in quite a few cities)?

Should you have further questions about the position we have on offer, just shoot me an email or give me a call on 86 + 13883328771. I look forward to your response.

Best Regards,

Does this seem legit to you?

Anyway, I appreciate any answers you guys send my way and I hope to be jamming out in Chengdu ASAP.

Thanks

Participant

You don’t need a BA to get a working visa in China, that’s just part of their salesmanship speech 😀

All you need is a foreign face/passport and the ability to speak/read/write, although I’d wager some teachers seem to come a bit short in those skills too… It’s a pretty easy gig to land, altho I don’t know much about which schools are good/bad/etc in regards to how they treat their teachers.

If it’s a foreigner recruiting you, maybe it’s a little better? I’d imagine they’d be less likely to F over new teachers. Hope it works out for you.

Participant

Hi Justin, nice to know we may be getting another Canadian in Chengdu! Slowly taking over..

There are ways around not having a degree. Technically you need the Z to legally work here but many schools can also get their teachers an F.

Apply to a few other schools to so you have some options. It’s good you’re going directly to their schools and not using a middleman or “educational consultancy”.

Good luck!

Participant

Clarification: You do not *require* a degree for a legitimate Z-visa. Everyone seems to say you do, but..you don’t. I don’t have a normal degree, and have been on a Z visa for more than 8 years. We do not have any “PSB connections” to help the application process, either.

The regulations changed a couple week ago. As follows;

People who already have a Z visa can continue having one (and get a new one) without having a Bacherlors degree

People who want to apply for a (first) Z visa MUST have a bachelors degree.

This is a Chengdu regulation. PSB connections can not change this. I know first hand

Thanks for all the answers everyone.

What is a “PSB” connection exactly?

The thing is I live in Montreal, Quebec and our school systems are all screwed up. We do High School until grade 11 and then 2/3 years of C.E.G.E.P, which is a French acronym for Collège d’enseignement général et professional, Then we do University.

I dropped out of CEGEP.

Anyway, I’m going to find my way around this and get to Chengdu ASAP. Even if it means doing something illegal…….

Don’t tell anyone though

Participant

What type of document do they require for the degree? Transcripts and actual degree? Im in the same boat and Im hoping there is a way around this….somehow

you need the original degree

PSB stands for Public Security Bureau. They decide on visas.

For the connections part: Guanxi

Participant

@Marco

I’m kinda curious how a “Chengdu regulation” applies to a National Visa application? There aren’t Chengdu visas and Shenzhen visas, there are just various offices which accept and process Visa applications… did you see this information posted on a Chinese government site, or just rumored/told by someone? AFAIK, Any and all regulation changes by the Chinese government are posted publically on Chinese gov’t sites..I get a lot of them which related specifically to my business sent to me by HR and as of late I’ve yet to see any interesting Visa change requirements.

Participant

Should also note, for a Work visa you require a work permit – can get it at an office near tianfu square / the little street with massage place at the end. Your education/professional skills/etc is evaluated there….afaik it’s *not* evaluated at the PSB.

Justin – just pick your school you’d like to work for, see what they say they require, and go that route. There is no real purpose to discussing it here, since they’ll have to process it on your behalf..and whatever they say they need is what you’ll have to provide. Suggest focusing on picking whichever employer you want to work for, and then going through the discussion with them 😀

Thanks man

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.