A Week Off: Where Should I Go?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionA Week Off: Where Should I Go?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi there, so yeah, I have a week or so off and was wanting to make the most of my time. I don’t like to rush when travelling so I was thinking of just staying in Sichaun? Maybe Hunan? Love the mountains, hiking, don’t like crowds… any ideas? I guess I’m after an ‘authentic’ experience hah. I’ve travelled a lot in remote areas in other countries but my Chinese is *very* limited so may need to take that into account.

I hear Jiuzhaigou is a must so might head there for a couple of days and then head somewhere more remote. On the subject of Jiuzhaigou – any tips on avoiding the crowds?

Participant

Get at the park early in the morning, take the bus all the way up and then walk the boardwalks down (25-30 km of walking possible).

The boardwalks are on the other sides of lakes then the bus/main road.
    You will have it mostly for yourself, as 90% of the Chinese are only using the bus to see everything.

One more pro-tip: get a 1 day pass and sleep in one of the tibetan villages.
    Your not officially allowed to do this, but they the local tibetans bride be park officers. A simple room for a night might cost you 250 rmb, but you save that money the next day on not paying entrance/bus tickets again.

I would say you need 2 days in the park to see everything and not rush.

Participant

If you go to JiuZhaiGou, do it on a weekday. The weekends will be packed and you’ll be dodging selfie-sticks and getting shoved by NaiNais who KNOW they are more important than some laowai and deserve to have their picture taken where you’re standing and taking in the scenery. As j.Slemmer said, it’s a big place, get ready to do some walking, but it’s worth it. Don’t get your hopes up about eating in the park though…

Hit up HuangLong, as well. It’s a good ways from JiuZhaiGou, but definitely worth it. Beautiful drive between the two, and the park at HuangLong is really impressive. It’s at higher altitude, and has some cool calcified, mineralized or whatever ponds and waterfalls.

Eat yak.

Sichuan has a lot of cool areas to see and enjoy. A week off sounds like a great way to get to see some new places. Another area to check out would be the west, going to Kangding and some of the surrounding towns and villages, doing some hiking (trekking as it seems to be called in Asian contexts), eating some yak, maybe getting altitude sickness, who knows? It’ll be less “touristy” out there, you won’t have to worry about dodging herds of long-brimmed red hats out there (they do exist, but not if you get out of town a ways).

Participant

Ok thanks for the replies guys, very helpful. I’ll have a look into the places mentioned 🙂

Keymaster

I would go to Western Sichuan. It’s far away, so long bus rides will be necessary, but the region is incredible and you won’t have to worry about huge crowds. Here are some places to look into visiting:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.