Acupuncture review

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAcupuncture review

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Since some people here are interested in acupuncture I’ll tell you about my first experience with it.

I had it done on friday at some hospital near Chengdu Sports University. It was recommended to me by someone who goes there as well for his acupuncture, and it’s supposed to be the place where Yao Ming (the famous Chinese basketball player) gets his stuff done. I doubt whether I actually ended up in the right place though. It had broken leggs and hurt Chinese people all over the place. I ended up waiting for like 3 hours cause they were having lunch break, and when I finally got the needles in I was lying there with 3 other people and some more people on the sides with their head resting on a table and needles in their neck… lol

They also couldn’t speak English (I brought someone with me). She explained my pain (I’ve been having the same back pain for about 3 weeks now) and the doctor started massaging me until I felt pain somewhere. He put about 4 or 5 needles in my back, which felt just like having a flue shot. When he turned around the needles it felt like I had an electric shock going through me every time. Amazing experience. Then I just had to lay down for like 20 minutes with the needles in. They also attached some kind of power supply to the needles, making my back muscles flex ever few seconds. It’s a weird feeling, you try not to move because it kind of hurts. But if you lay still and clear your head, in some way it’s a very relaxing experience.

After those 20 minutes the doctor massaged me some more and he could clearly locate the trouble area now. He said I had to get up every 30 minutes when I’m behind the computer and arch my back.

He told me to come back on sunday, and he seemed to know what was wrong with me, so that’s why I’m going back (tomorrow). It cost me 100 kuai.

As for results, I can still feel the pain, but I read acupuncture is not a quick-fix. For the rest of the day I felt some tingling through my lower back every now and then. I probably need some more sessions for my back to actually heal.

The main thing is that I just expected the whole thing to be a far more quiet and intimate experience somehow. It would be a serious improvement if you got a seperate room. Does anyone know whether there are other options besides a hospital? The noise, hurt people and fuss all over the place kind of ruins the whole process imo.

Participant

The hospital sounds more terrifying than the needles…

Participant

Look into Somatics and/or Muscle activation Techique (sp). Somcatics works wonderfully! Trust me on that, after doing somatic yoga, 2 hour set, my back did not hurt for an entire week! Then not doing it, reverted back….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.