Advice for Chengdu: What You Wish You Had Known

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAdvice for Chengdu: What You Wish You Had Known

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

I will be in Chengdu before the month is out. I have never lived in China, but I have spent 5 years in Korea, Vietnam and Indonesia. I am looking for some advice. So can anyone send a little love my way with some advice on Chengdu?

possible hints on:

– getting a motorcycle (legally)

– nonexpat markets, restaurants, establishments (I am a chef)

– where NOT to wander

– best way to learn Chinese

– shoes, clothing stores for average-sized WESTERNER

– anything else

I usually just wander, but my Chinese is almost nil, and know no one in Chengdu, so any advice would be killer.

Sorry guys… I forgot. What about Internet in Chengdu? Do they have 4G? 3G? What brands are good? Prices. Sorry. I am a total China noob.

Almost everything you are asking here is already in the forum, or the Chengdu Living site itself (Learning Chinese for example), so check those threads and add to them with your responses. That’ll help others looking for similar information in future, by keeping information fresh and updated.

Good luck in the Du!!

Sorry Brendan. I found some of the answers, but many of the posts were older. I just thought a summary would be quick and easy. I will ask my questions in the individual threads for each topic.

No apology needed dude. When you add a question/comment to the thread, it brings it up to the top for everyone to see. This will encourage visitors of the forum to give you fresh answers.

Keymaster

This is off the top of my head, you can find more detailed info on the forum and on the site like Brendan said:

– getting a motorcycle (legally): Getting a Motorcycle in Chengdu

– nonexpat markets, restaurants, establishments (I am a chef): 99% of the markets, restaurants and establishments in Chengdu are non-expat so you’ll have no problem with that

– where NOT to wander: wander wherever you like, you’ll have an extremely difficult time finding any danger in Chengdu as a foreigner. Look out for pick pockets near the North Train station.

– best way to learn Chinese: check out these posts on Learning Chinese, scroll down

– shoes, clothing stores for average-sized WESTERNER: Check out these threads: Non-Midget Sized Apparel and Size 12 Shoes

– anything else: learn Chinese as quickly as possible. It’ll make your experience in Chengdu more engaging, challenging and ultimately fulfilling

Lastly, welcome to Chengdu 🙂

Thanks. I think I will not be riding in Chengdu. I thought it was a hassle in Indonesia, the logistics seem like they are too much of a headache in China.

Thanks for all the info, and thank you for your welcome to Chengdu.

Where not to wander? The only place that springs to mind is the pavement outside the US consulate!

@ben Funny 😉

Participant

RATS! (the four-legged kind) and rat-bastards (the two -legged variety)….Goddamn those pesky rats!

Participant

@ben

Arrested there once – but I was urinating on the front gate. 2004 I think. They protest if you walk on the walk, but if you’re white and pretend not to be ignorant / American and not understand, they don’t bother you much..then again, I haven’t tried since the pee-challenge incident.

Participant

I’m missing something. What’s the big deal about walking there?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Arrested there once – but I was urinating on the front gate. 2004 I think. They protest if you walk on the walk, but if you’re white and pretend not to be ignorant / American and not understand, they don’t bother you much..then again, I haven’t tried since the pee-challenge incident.

That is epic. Well done.

Quote:
    I’m missing something. What’s the big deal about walking there?

I lived practically next door to the consulate for 2 years and I still have no idea. It’s the only place in Chengdu where you can’t use the sidewalk in front of a building. There are Chinese guards wearing camouflage with helmets and guard dogs and you have to walk in the street to pass the building.

It’s obnoxious and embarrassing to me, as an American. Not to mention that the entire place is patrolled by Chinese soldiers who don’t even speak English. It doesn’t seem fitting for a US Consulate and it affirms peoples notions of America being a paranoid and militant empire. No other consulate in Chengdu is anything like that at all.

I got dragged out by the security from the consulate last year for yelling at the visa officer. Cuz she wouldnt give me a visa. I threatened to sue her for Child abuse and neglect. Thanks to her my husband had to take our 6 month old baby back to US for her Chinese visa. I didnt sue her in the end. I was just piiiiiiiiissed that she rejected me.

Participant

@cress

Very stupid mistake. “Yelling at the visa officer for rejection” – heard lots of women do this after they’re married or have a kid and want to go back. The US doesn’t hand out visas just because you get married or procreate, and if you choose to freak out and yell at the officer or swear or anything similar, they mark that in your record and the next application will be most likely an immediate rejection. Also, it’s not “child abuse” nor “neglect” to reject someone for a Visa at all, and I’d be shocked and amazed if any court would hear that kind of accusation…but ya, I get that you’re an angry mom who just wants to accompany your family, and ‘they don’t understand’. 😀

I didnt really care if I could go or not. I was just pissed that my husband had to take Haven (my daughter) to the US all by himself. I wasnt going to sue them anyways. Guess I’m already on the record. So I’m not even trying now.

Keymaster

It’s pretty easy to see how that would happen, though. The consulate tends to infuriate people even when they’re not getting between mother and child.

I’ve had countless times where I meet some Chinese person and they’re eager to tell me how much they despise the US Consulate or foreign policy for whatever reason. It has nothing to do with me but I end up sympathizing since I’ve had my own difficulties there.

I once had a bag stolen with my passport in it a few years ago and the guards on the outside of the consulate didn’t want to let me inside and they said there were no Americans inside when I requested that they summon one. I ended up having to go to four or five police stations (can’t remember exactly) before I could find one that would begrudgingly take responsibility for giving me the stamped document required to get inside the US Consulate.

When I finally got inside, past the document check, x-ray machine, search and cell phone confiscation, the place was nearly empty and they staged some kind of terrorist drill with alarms going off. Good times.

Participant

Losing a passport *sucks*, especially if your own country is treating you like a criminal to get it replaced. I’m glad I’m Canadian!

I lost my passport, also.. I flew to Shanghai on a stamped doc that took an afternoon to sort out (filed police report at police station, PSB gave me right doc).. had like 3 minute fuss about “what is this?” document instead of passport at the security check, then upon arrival walked in, filled in my docs / references, and partied with my friends in Shanghai for a few days while it was processed.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.