Advice on moving to Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAdvice on moving to Chengdu

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am looking to move to Chengdu in the near future, hopefully in July or August. I want to move there because my girlfriend will be starting work in Chengdu in August (she’s Chinese).

I am looking for some job-related advice. I am interested in finding a job in Chengdu. I have done some research, and it seems that I will be able to find some sort of job, especially teaching English. However, in June, I’ll be obtaining my Master’s in Mathematics, and I have 2 years experience teaching and tutoring math for mostly 1st and 2nd year university students. And, I’m actually a very good teacher. So, I would prefer a job teaching or tutoring math (taught in English). But, of course, I think it will be easier to find a job teaching English.

I also enjoy teaching English (but I prefer math)… I never taught English officially, in a classroom setting, but I have many Chinese friends that are recent arrivals to Canada and they don’t all speak great English… I am very successful helping them improve.

So, I have a few questions. Should I try to secure a job while still in Canada? It’ll be easier to get a work visa, right? Should I get a job teaching english first, to get me started off in Chengdu… then later, after my contract is done, I can try to find a job teaching mathematics… I think it might be easier to find a job since I’ll already be in Chengdu. Also, if I get a job teaching English, would I be able to do work on the side, possibly tutoring mathematics?

Should I go to Chengdu first, and find a job? It would be safer, and easier to find one while I’m already there… I might have to leave China in order to get a work visa, right? I don’t want to work illegally.

About myself, I am white, 24 years old, and I can speak basic Chinese and sufficient French. I have a bachelors of science in Applied mathematics, and will soon have a Master’s of science in Mathematics. And, I’m a U.S. citizen but I currently live in Canada.

Keymaster

Hey Craig,

I’m not sure who you’d have to meet to get a job teaching math in Chengdu, but I’m guessing it would be easier to make that connection if you’re in Chengdu. Teaching English is very easy to set up as you probably know. Tutoring math on the side is definitely possible, a lucrative demographic for you might be Chinese students who are preparing for overseas study.

If you’re coming from Canada you can get a tourist visa processed there and switch to a work visa when you’re in China, or you can purchase an F-visa (business) if you will come to Hong Kong before entering China.

Another option

Participant

There are a few international schools that you could check out. I’m a teacher at one and we are always looking for good teachers. You could try QSI, Leman, or Meishi.

Participant

Bekah’s advice shows the clear direction,@Craig, if you persist in teaching math, you can start your career with teaching AP courses in international schools and IB courses based schools.e.g.Meishi school, Guang ya IB school-Dujiangyan,international department of some good local high schools:including International Department of Chengdu No.7 Middle School,ID of Shude Mid. School,ID of Chengdu No.4 Mid. School…And some well-recognized educational authorities are also acceptable,like Kaplan and New Qriental.Both of the two offer mathematical AP courses to Chinese students,I knew a little of above as I used to be one of those Chinese students.( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

Participant

Thank you so much for all your advice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.