Am I Too Old to Study in Chengdu?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAm I Too Old to Study in Chengdu?

• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Avatar photochip.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I spent a year teaching in Chengdu after I graduated from university back in 2009-2010. Went back to the UK to start a career but now I’m bored. I’m planning to stay in my job for another year before heading back out to Chengdu to learn Mandarin and then hopefully find a job. But I’ll be 29 when I go.

I remember the expat community being fairly small so I’m hoping someone will be able to shed some light on the ages of students.

Participant

i have applied at swufe. i’ll turn 26 in september

Participant

i have applied at swufe. i’ll turn 26 in september

Participant

My younger sister studied at SWUFE for a year and a half. Can I ask why SWUFE? She chose it because she left it until a month before going and they were okay with it. I also suggested Chengdu.

I was thinking of applying to ChuanDa.

Participant

My younger sister studied at SWUFE for a year and a half. Can I ask why SWUFE? She chose it because she left it until a month before going and they were okay with it. I also suggested Chengdu.

I was thinking of applying to ChuanDa.

Participant

i’ve applied at swufe because i’ve been told that class sizes are very small and i’ve also considered taking a finance/math course and they have quite a few courses taught in english.

I’ve passed HSK4, so i’m not a beginner, but I’m also not very good. I’ve been told that the low level classes at swufe are mostly young caucasian foreigner, but the higher level classes are different. Most of the students are a bit older and a lot of them are asian. Their english level is lower so i’ll be forced to learn chinese.

Participant

i’ve applied at swufe because i’ve been told that class sizes are very small and i’ve also considered taking a finance/math course and they have quite a few courses taught in english.

I’ve passed HSK4, so i’m not a beginner, but I’m also not very good. I’ve been told that the low level classes at swufe are mostly young caucasian foreigner, but the higher level classes are different. Most of the students are a bit older and a lot of them are asian. Their english level is lower so i’ll be forced to learn chinese.

Keymaster

It’s only a problem if you have a problem with it. You can learn a language at any age!

Keymaster

It’s only a problem if you have a problem with it. You can learn a language at any age!

Participant

You are never too old for anything so long as your living and breathing. I read this story and it helped me get off my fat a** and try and do something which I feared, it goes to show anything is possible with the right mind set don’t let your own fears hold you back.

http://web.reporternews.com/1998/texas/read0119.html

http://newearthdaily.com/98-year-old-man-writes-book-after-learning-how-to-read-at-91/

Participant

You are never too old for anything so long as your living and breathing. I read this story and it helped me get off my fat a** and try and do something which I feared, it goes to show anything is possible with the right mind set don’t let your own fears hold you back.

http://web.reporternews.com/1998/texas/read0119.html

http://newearthdaily.com/98-year-old-man-writes-book-after-learning-how-to-read-at-91/

Participant

Definitely not. I study at Southwest University for Nationalities and I’m 27 and I think the youngest in my class. The lower level classes do tend to have more younger students but it is still fairly mixed.

Just another thing to think about, if your goal is to study Mandarin maybe think about going somewhere in the north where it is spoken. While Sichuan dialect is closely related it can be pretty tough, it adds another difficulty to an already difficult language. That said if you really like Chengdu then come here, it isn’t impossible to learn Mandarin here, just harder.

Participant

Definitely not. I study at Southwest University for Nationalities and I’m 27 and I think the youngest in my class. The lower level classes do tend to have more younger students but it is still fairly mixed.

Just another thing to think about, if your goal is to study Mandarin maybe think about going somewhere in the north where it is spoken. While Sichuan dialect is closely related it can be pretty tough, it adds another difficulty to an already difficult language. That said if you really like Chengdu then come here, it isn’t impossible to learn Mandarin here, just harder.

Participant

When a man looks at woman and thinks if its worth it – he’s old.

When he doesnt even look at her – just bury him, he is already dead, just dont kow it yet.

Participant

When a man looks at woman and thinks if its worth it – he’s old.

When he doesnt even look at her – just bury him, he is already dead, just dont kow it yet.

Participant

I’m a student at Sichuan University, and there are tons of students in their 30’s, 40’s and 50’s (even an old Japanese guy in his 60’s). Don’t feel too old, as there will always be others older. Anyways, you are never to old to learn something new.

Participant

I’m a student at Sichuan University, and there are tons of students in their 30’s, 40’s and 50’s (even an old Japanese guy in his 60’s). Don’t feel too old, as there will always be others older. Anyways, you are never to old to learn something new.

Participant

I believe there is an age limit for getting a student visa, but it’s 70 or so.

Participant

I believe there is an age limit for getting a student visa, but it’s 70 or so.

Participant

It’s never too old to study.i feel good after my gap years to study at scu,though I’m a little bit older than my classmates.there’s no gap about study between us.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.