Any Ideas for a Job?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAny Ideas for a Job?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all.

Just a small question from a basement dweller to all of you, normal people.

As im about to be done with my 2 year study, and i dont want to get back home yet, i thought that i might to try and find myself some full time job for a change. But before i only worked as a part time teacher so my knowledge about Chengdu work market is limited.

So, im Russian, with native level English and intermediate level in Chinese and Japanese. Have a huge experience in translation/interpretation and quite a large experience in teaching. Got myself both TEFL and HSK4, maybe will have HSK5 in summer if i wont be too lazy.

Any advice on what kind of full time job i am able to find in Chengdu, what resources, methods and tactics i should use are welcomed.

Participant

Really depends what you’re looking for. English teaching is obviously the most common because the government regulations regarding hiring ESL teachers are so much lower/not enforced compared to non-ESL jobs. Translation could also happen as a freelancer if your Chinese is decent (though I’d have my doubts about HSK4 being proficient enough for any sort of professional translation) and you can land enough jobs, since you know Russian and English it’d help a lot on this front.

But since you’re asking you probably know those two and you’re wondering about jobs outside of those.

Since the new regulations last summer, most non-ESL companies are having a lot of time getting people over with proper paperwork. Generally if a company really wants you they can go a sketchy route with M visas or maybe even paying off a school and getting an RP from an X, but they’re gonna have to really want you since the penalties have increased a whole lot.

If you had job experience in another field (IT stuff is big in Chengdu, but business, marketing, and consultation also have jobs) or a post-graduate degree you’d stand a better chance.

Not to just give you bad news, but the truth of the matter is in Chengdu most non-ESL jobs are from companies looking for experienced seniors they can’t get find domestically. There are other jobs out there, but they’re few and far between.

Your best bet would be to find a company looking for interns and try to work your way in to a position from there. A lot of companies in Chengdu look for foreign interns, so this one might not prove so difficult.

One last option would be to leave Chengdu and go to Shanghai, Beijing, or even Shenzhen where there are a hell of a lot more job opportunities.

Participant

Well i just wanted to confirm but so far my estimation is same to yours *yawn*. Guess ill just look for some full time English teaching while kicking my level up to HSK 5/6 and then switch to translation as it is my main spec.

Granted, schools hate me for some reason 🙂

Also i dabbed quite a lot in airspace, if memory serves Chengdu does have something of that field as well?

Keymaster

Your English looks great and everyone’s looking for caucasian teachers, so that will be the most straight forward option. Chengdu does have a big aeronautics industry but that’s pretty closed to foreigners as far as I know.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.