Apple Store

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionApple Store

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Where is the Apple store in Chengdu? I’m thinking of biting the bullet and picking up an iPad (even with it’s retarded limitations), and want to see what they’re going for here. Are there any other retailers offering Apple product at competitive price?

Thank you much.

And by Apple Store, I mean reliable reseller. I’ve seen a bunch of people selling iPads, but would rather get some feedback before buying.

Is anyone aware of 3G plans and coverage here in Chengdu?

Keymaster

iPad is the bomb, man. I recommend it. You can buy it for 3,999 yuan at a bunch of places in Chengdu. Computer City (intersection of First Ring Road and Renmin Nanlu) got ’em. You can even get them at Carrefour all over the city, too. iPad is for sale all over the place, but you can’t find the 3G version for sale here. Only wifi.

I’ve seen Chinese resellers advertising them through taobao, but not in stores yet. I could probably live without the 3G, but it would be handy for picking up emails on the go, and of course helping me out when I’m down some back alley not knowing which way is up! I’m starting to see some incredible midi/audio apps appearing, which given how little the thing costs (if compared to say, a Lemur, which in truth I still fancy), make it a safe buy. I just know that next year there’ll be a revised version on release, with greater storage and lower price. Another plus is that I could get by running Reason & Record with it as my controller until I ship everything out here and get set up.

3999… Is that for a 16G? I’m after a 64G.

Participant

I read that Foxconn is going to start producing the iPad in Chengdu. Wonder if they’ll end up on the grey market?

I’m waiting for the 2nd gen iPad, which hopefully will have front and back cameras.

I ended up buying a 64 gig at the dubiously named ‘apple store’ on Chunxi Road, at the apparently universally set price of 5588rmb, which almost balances out if you factor in North American taxes. No one in the store had a real grasp of English, and so ensued an hour long adventure in purchasing.

I had checked out Sunning across the road, but apart from no one in there having any real clue, they’d sold out of the 64’s.

Vie since seen various places selling them, officially or otherwise. I think the safest bet would probably be the authorised Apple Reseller in the ‘Computer Plaza’ building, just east of Sichuan Gymnasium metro. They had all the peripherals in there, good stock, and good service too.

@trudat

Er… I was going to add to the above that I would wait for a 2nd gen, which should have a higher capacity (maybe 128 gig?), but I don’t see that coming until Summer. Meanwhile there’s a whole host of things Apple should focus on improving in the OS X!

Keymaster

2nd gen is coming out somewhere between April and June of this year, probably to be announced in a few weeks (according to Kevin Rose, who has predicted these things accurately in the past). The next one will definitely have front and rear cameras and Facetime, as well as a reported higher resolution display (although not quite “Retina” high). I just got back from my first international vacation with the iPad though and it was incredible. Single best travel accessory ever.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.