Art on Film/Canvas/Print…

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionArt on Film/Canvas/Print…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I’m hoping to find ways of sourcing (contemporary) art in Chengdu, be it on film, canvas, screen print, illustration, or other. I’d also like to track down a decent art supplies outlet/store that covers everything from fat markers to acetates, and everything in between. Do any of you know of any DECENT sources?

As far as sourcing ‘art’ goes, it’d be nice to locate any interesting exhibition spaces that regularly showcase different artists, as well as finding good sources of decent prints, and anything else that fits the bill.

Lastly, is anyone aware of a reputable gallery/exhibition show listings that provide schedules of upcoming shows?

Thanks art lovers!!

😉

Keymaster

There’s an art market in Chengdu at Songxian Qiao with lots of artists and paintings and sculpture for sale. Not a lot of it is contemporary art, most of it is traditional but there’s some great stuff there. Prices range from incredibly cheap to super expensive. If you’re looking for anything painting related, be it supplies or artists, that’s the first place I’d check.

A well known and respected gallery is across from the New Little Bar called 1,000 Plateus, check out that place also.

I’ll have to check Songxian Qiao out, I’ve not heard of that before. Definitely contemporary/modern that I’m looking for, but this will still be inetersting.

I’ve been meaning to check out 1,000 Plateus for a while now, and I’ve been to a great exhibition of contemporary Chinese art that was held in K Gallery right next door. That included a few Tsang pieces, all very cool abstracts. I almost bought a 1/99 print, but came to my senses at the 20,000 rmb price tag! Cheap, not.

Keymaster

Another place worth checking it, which is coincidentally right next to my office, is the newly-constructed Chengdu MOCA art gallery. It’s in the D-area of Tianfu Software Park across the street from McDonalds. There’s some fantastic art there, paintings and sculpture. A lot of it is distinctly Chinese also, which is nice.

Participant

I think Charlie has answered most of it, there are only a few galleries in Chengdu, 100 Plateus, K Gallery Chengdu MoCA and I think there is a new one near the Museum called A4 or something like this.

I will be opening a gallery in Chengdu later this year but it will be view by appointment only.

We recently exhibited Chengdu artist Feng Hanping in Shanghai.

Also last year we exhibited the works by AIKO who is the founding member of FAILE the graffiti group before she went solo.

Will keep you updated with the gallery.

Andrew

http://www.andrewjamesart.com

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I will be opening a gallery in Chengdu later this year

Awesome, glad you’re coming to Chengdu. Definitely update us on the progress, I’d love to check it out.

That’s great news for Chengdu Andy, when are you expecting to be ‘open for business’? Please feel free to PM me here with updates and further details, I’m very interested in seeing your available prints.

If you are planning any open gallery events, posting details on the forum will help attract a diverse crowd to any showings.

Good luck!

Participant

I’ll let you know how it all goes, right now I am shipping all the artworks from Shanghai to Chengdu. Then I need to renovate the space, I guess unofficially open in December perhaps. No rush really.

Take a look at the website i listed before. I have plenty of prints and can offer them a lot lower than 20,000. All depends what you like though, some prints are worth 100,000.

Anyway when I get to town in the next week or 2 I will post more often on the boards.

I’ve just been looking through what you have Andy… Love Sheng Qi’s ‘Cover Your Face’, along with ‘Sha Sha Sha’. Please PM me the deets, and I’ll try not to grimace.

Participant

I only know of 2 decent art supply stores in Chengdu. Most of the stuff is painting supplies, but you might be able to find what you are looking for. One is at Chunxi Lu of all places, near the south entrance, across from Chicony, on the fourth floor of a sunglass shop. I don’t know the name but it is pretty big. The other one is about one block west of the Tianfu Plaza Mao statue.

Participant

@Brendan

Those Sheng Qi paintings are recently sold, New York MoMA has collected his work so you can imagine the price isnt cheap. He is a very interesting guy, cut his little finger off in protest to the T1an an men prote$t….

Works by artists like Guo Wei or Guo Jin, brothers based in Chengdu, I have some prints which are affordable, really not going to break the bank. Anyway I will post a message when I get set up in town and you can come around to see.

Andrew

The two pieces I mention are very immediately striking, without shouting their message. Very nice. I’m absolutely interested in the prints, and look forward to meeting you once you’re set.

Participant

There’s an interesting little contemporary/modern/abstract ish art gallary that had an event I had attended a while ago, I don’t remember the exact name, but it’s next to the Bank Of China HQ at RoMa Square near babaojie..

It’s not huge, maybe 150-200sqm? if I remember, and had a variety of mediums including canvas, sculpture, furniture, and jewelry..this was ~ 2 yrs ago, and I think the artist was from HK or Shanghai, but the location is around here on a map:

http://maps.google.com/?ll=30.669496,104.066223&spn=0.0015,0.00228&t=m&vpsrc=6&z=19

There’s a gallery at Hongxinglu #35. It’s behind the Creative Spaces building. I think the pieces are done by local contemporary artists and are relatively inexpensive. This is also the same place where they have Mandarin Corner classes.

@Chris: I’ll check that out, it’s just a couple of miles up the road from my office. Thanks.

So I checked out the ‘Creative Space’ building today… Wow, Chengdu really does need to start making conscious effort to attract the arts into the city. Not only is the architecture of this building atrocious, the space is also virtually empty, or occupied by the wrong people. Bread Talk have taken one of the 9 floors as their offices!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.