Background Checks in 2017?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBackground Checks in 2017?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I’m from (and currently in) the United States, and I can’t seem to get specific answers on what background check is required to be authenticated to get the appropriate (Z) visa in China. I know that a Criminal Background Check is required, but I don’t know exactly what type. Would a local background check work, or is it required to have an FBI background check?

To those who know of it or who have done it in 2017, what can you tell me about this?

Thanks!

Participant

It’s just a standard criminal record check from your local police station, to prove you have a clean slate.

Participant

Edit: I should have mentioned that this was for teaching English in Chengdu. I don’t know if that would affect things.

Thanks for answering, Vincent. I wanted to know if Chengdu is doing things differently because I know there are other cities and provinces that do accept any type of authenticated background check.

One school in Chengdu that I’ve talked to mentioned that I needed an FBI background check for the working visa, but a red flag was also raised when they wanted me to come over on a tourist visa and then convert it to a Z (or possibly a business visa) in HK after arriving.

Can anyone else confirm that any background check is accepted for Chengdu as of now (2017)? Trying to get as much info as I can while speaking with some other schools soon.

Participant

I’m doing this in June, so a few Chinese visa agents confirmed the following info:

After April 1st, all work permit visa applicants need to show the China Immigration a “certificate of good conduct” from your local police station where you last lived in the US (about $50), or a FBI procurement/FBI Legalization. A notary from the US consulate in Chengdu will not be accepted.

Additionally, you will need to get your university degree authenticated from your city clerk office. But you should get a form first from your university, and then bring it to the city clerk office. (The US consulate cannot do this for various reasons.)

While doing all the above, apply a tourist visa to China from the US. Once you arrived in Chengdu (report to your nearest police station within 24 hours, receive a paper), then you will be able to get the work permit visa (4-6 weeks), and your tourist visa will be canceled in Chengdu.

Hope the information helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.