Backpacking Western Sichuan Info

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBackpacking Western Sichuan Info

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m new to backpacking/trecking outside of America, so I’m wondering how it is done. I’ve done a lot in America, but since this isn’t it how different is it? Oh, by when I mean backpacking, I don’t mean going from hostel to hostel, but camping with everything in my backpack and staying out in the wilderness for days on end, cooking everything yourself and watching out for animals.

In America, I always brought (at the minimum):
    -Backpacking backpack
    -Tent
    -sleeping bag
    -sleeping pad
    -warm clothes
    -stove (with kerosene, or whatever gas being used, attached)
    -water bottle
    -water purifier
    -food
    -Bear canister to keep the food in
    -Map and compass
    -knife
    What other differences are there in the equipment that you should bring? What type of food should you get? I’m used to the packaged food from REI where you just add boiled water. Where should I keep the food? Should I bring a rope to hang the food from a tree?
    I have a few of these things, but I know you can rent most of them.

Any one know where you can find good detailed topographical maps of places?

I’m looking to go to 贡嘎山 (gònggá shān) next week. I don’t know how high up I will go, but I will try to avoid the glaciers and ice. Anyone have any good advice about the area? I’m going to be starting at 磨西镇, but since I don’t have a map I can’t plan where I will go each day.

Lastly, one of the saddest things I’ve heard about China was this one woman’s reply to my plan. When I said that I have to be wary about animals, she said, “In China, there are no animals, there are just more people.”

Participant

Trees to hang your food from? That high up?
    I have no experience with the kind of trek you are talking about, but I would in any case take warm cloths/sleeping bag and good rain cover. It is harsh territory out there. Bear canister?

Perhaps Brian at http://www.adventure-access.com/ or the people at this place http://zhilamhostel.com/about/ can give you more info on gear to take and what to expect. Detailed topographic maps are sensitive stuff here, I would expect, and I don’t think you will find any that are detailed enough. Perhaps carry a gps? some tracks in Sichuan are downloadable from here http://en.wikiloc.com/trails/hiking/china/sichuan . You may run into checkpoints, they don’t like individual travellers heading in the general direction of the Tibetan region as far as I understand.

There are also some local Chinese groups who do treks and camping in the high mountains, some have qq groups, perhaps you can find them and ask them for more info.
    China does some very nice dried meat varieties (jerky kind of stuff) if you like that.

Have fun!

Participant

Most of my backpacking experience is in northern New Mexico and the Sierra Nevada in California. That is what I did, but it has never been in territory like this. I have been able to find some good information at 马蜂窝, but it is all in Chinese, so it is taking me a while to get through it.

You are probably right about the politics of the region. I didn’t even think about it. Most likely impossible to find anything like the National Geographic or Tom Harrison maps here. I personally like to explore on my own at my own pace. I am currently looking into the Chinese groups right now, but I probably should I have started planning much earlier.

Participant

That looks like a nice website! Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.