Ball Hockey anyone?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBall Hockey anyone?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

While it seems starting a real hockey league is still a ways away in Chengdu, what about getting at least a weekly ball hockey game going, and maybe later on a tournament or a league depending on turn out?

you can get sticks on taobao for not that much, and from what i understand at Decathalon as well, though I cant confirm that. I guess the hardest part would be to get nets, and a couple people to get goalie equipment eventually. It seem people in China are less likely to have that stufff lyin around eh? anyways im sure we’ve all played without pads and real nets before too.

then just pick a tennis court or empty parkin lot somewhere hopefully, and get it goin.

first i guess we should gauge interest and see whose got equipment, and find thebest places for people wo get equipemnt they need. hopefully once the weather gets good we can get somethin together.

til then, keep yer stick on the ice

Keymaster

I played street hockey a lot as a kid, but always on rollerblades in a cul-de-sac. It seems that playing on foot would be very different since I’m used to gliding when playing hockey (street or ice). Anyway, this is a good idea since we’re coming into the spring and ice hockey seems impossible in Chengdu. Goalie equipment might not be necessary but building a goal is pretty easy. You could probably work something out with Natooke, I think they’re building goals for bike polo as well, which they would be using every Saturday afternoon by the Sichuan gym.

Funny, I played Field Hockey as a kid fairly heavily as it was a part of my secondary school’s competitive sports heritage. I’m remembering the hideous green and red striped shirts we wore, complete with crest of arms badge and oversize white collar. Good times. It was a fairly brutal sport from memory, I can remember getting into a few heated tackles here and there. And what’s not to like about having a heavy wooden stick to swing at your opponent!!

I say game on.

Participant

I’m sure you could find some folks around here that’d be up for some roller hockey.

Finding a suitable space to play is tough though. Nets and balls can be found online (we actually have some balls in stock at the shop right now). Or as Charlie said you could build them.

Currently we’re trying to work with Sichuan University to see if they’ve got a suitable space we could regularly use. If that’s the case and we sell it just right they might be able to throw in some funding to set it up just right. This is speculation at the moment though.

Also, if no one’s up for roller hockey you can play bike polo. It’s more fun anyway.

Participant

Hi Jordan.

There is a field hockey pitch in tai ping si, on the right side, next to the football pitches. (opposite to the army airport). it’s sand, not water astro, but looks ok.

I’ve had a colleague call them about two years ago , at that time I was told this pitch can only be used by the ‘professionals’ that train there almost daily. Think they train mornings.

Would be awesome to get some ppl together and eventually give those ‘professionals’ a beating …

I brought two sticks and a ball a couple of months ago, so I’m def up for it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.