Offered Teaching Position in Dujiangyan…

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionOffered Teaching Position in Dujiangyan…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey everyone! I am a Canadian who has been offered a teaching position in Dujiangyan. It is with a reliable agency that is connected to a school board within my country, so I’m not concerned about anything relating to the job. However, I am wondering what everyone thinks of that city. I love the idea of living in it (close to the water, clean air, and I’ll be exposed to Chinese culture). I only have a few concerns about getting around the city without a large foreign population, and regarding some of the weather patterns that have been occurring lately – although clearly no one has any control over this. Let me know! I really want to do this, it’s so beautiful over there 🙂

Participant

It is a small culture resort city with a lot of green. A good and quiet place, a good choice to live or work as long as you are not into much clubbing type of thing. Getting around will only be a prob for the first couple month, after that you’ll have some basic Chinese to get you around.

Regarding the weather – bring a raincoat and high boots, you will need them 🙂

Keymaster

Dujiangyan is just a really nice place in general, but I’d be sure that you’re interested in Chinese culture and Chinese people in general before committing to a place like that. It sounds like you already know the important things though – it’s a beautiful place without much of an expat community. You won’t be far from Chengdu, but once you get used to the luxuries of Chengdu, it can be tough to live in places like Mianyang or Dujiangyan unless you’re really committed to one or more aspects of Chinese culture. With the bullet train Chengdu is never far off, though.

Participant

Thanks for the info guys! I have been mulling it over for a couple days but my heart is telling me I should go to this place. The job is great, the pay is great, I get a month’s vacation in December and Dujiangyan is just a beautiful place. I want to be pushed out of my comfort zone and I am aware that this will be no picnic. However, if I ever get lonely and wanna meet foreigners or get back in touch with Western culture, Chengdu is only an hour bullet train away. Let’s hope everything works out. If anyone knows anyone who is currently living in Dujiangyan, please let me know 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.