Best Books to Learn Chinese?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBest Books to Learn Chinese?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My colleague (chinese) and myself made a deal to have a language exchange where ill practise english with her and she will teach me some basic chinese. So, i want to get a book to learn chinese so that i can follow a program instead of learning random words.

Could anyone Please suggest a good book you know or you have gone through to learn chinese 🙂

Thank you.

Participant

I used Integrated Chinese, which from what I’ve heard is also what the Confucius Institute uses. It’s pretty good for vocab and grammar and each book comes with a character workbook and a set of CDs that are really useful for prononciation. Also, it’s broken up by levels into several books, the first level is pretty basic so that would serve your purposes.

I’m not sure where you could find one in China because I’m not yet over there, but I’m guessing you could find one online through means which are less *cough* legal in the US (tor*cough*rent).

Good luck on your language learning!

Keymaster

My favorite books for learning Chinese has always been the Practical Chinese Reader series. You can find them in China for really cheap, but they were published decades ago. Despite the fact that they aren’t really update, they’re super solid. That’s my go-to for recommending books to learn Chinese.

Participant

The “Road to success” series work for me so far. Also ranges from “dumb laowai who just came to china” to “I read Confucius in original” levels so you can pick your poison :). Equipped with CD, exercise sheets and something else. Sells in every large bookshop.

Participant

Thanks liam. I couldnt find this book on taobao or other websites yet. Ill try to find some *cough*rents. Lol.

@ charlie. Did u buy them online? Could you please suggest a place in chengdu to buy them? I found some books on taobao but they have mostly old versions. Thanks 🙂

@alexie thank you 🙂

Keymaster
    Quote:
    @ charlie. Did u buy them online? Could you please suggest a place in chengdu to buy them? I found some books on taobao but they have mostly old versions. Thanks 🙂

No, I never bought any books to learn Chinese online. No need for that I think. If you check out local bookstores in Chengdu you’ll find a lot of books on learning Chinese, most of them are really cheap. Like, in the 15-20 yuan range of cheap. I’m actually not sure what book store you should go to but I checked Baidu and found this map: Chengdu Bookstores

Participant

At the Sichuan University we use Hanyu Jiaocheng/ 汉语教程. The books are quite good, useful grammar, quite some exercises and some of them have answers in the back. On the back of the book they give a price of ¥34.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.