Best Outdoor Swimming Pools in Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduBest Outdoor Swimming Pools in Chengdu

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

It’s almost swimming season in Chengdu.

For years I’ve been going to the pool at Orchard Villas in Tongzilin which costs 20 yuan, but this year it appears to be closed to the public. I went there today and the security guards wouldn’t let us enter and pointed to a sign in English and Chinese that says the pool isn’t open to the public.

What are some good pools to hit?

Participant

Where does jellyfish go for their pool parties?

Keymaster

Where does jellyfish go for their pool parties?

Some place far away, towards the airport I think. Presidential Hotel? Something like that.

Participant

usually, i go university swimming pool

Participant

Anyone know anything about the swimming pool by 新希望路? I’ve only seen it from map and satellite images. It’s in the community behind the Essence of Europe there.
    https://www.google.com.hk/maps/@30.6174014,104.0723965,19z

Participant

Bummer about Orchard Villa.   My only advice is don’t go to the public pool near TV tower..

Participant

Devastating news re the pool closure. Fond memories:
    2011 (?): stepping over the fence when leaving. The bad-tempered pool-master (skinny older guy) chasing me and busting my stones in front of a large audience. Humiliation ensued….
    2012: some foreign kids bombing. Aforementioned pool master losing his shit and blasting the parents of the kids. Classic.
    2013: paying with a c-note and being told it was a fakey. My first one ever in China. True story…

Participant

I go to a basic rectangle pool with greenery around it near Ikea. Nothing special, but quiet enough that it’s a place one can typically get a chair/umbrella and chill with a few beers in the afternoon 😀

It’s the place on Tai He Er Jie west of Ikea, seems quite a few Russians live in the complex.

Participant

Great news. Orchard Villas in Tongzilin is now open again and the bad-tempered pool-master doesn’t appear to be there anymore. Not so good news is it’s now 30 yuan!!

Keymaster

Great news. Orchard Villas in Tongzilin is now open again and the bad-tempered pool-master doesn’t appear to be there anymore. Not so good news is it’s now 30 yuan!!

Damn, swimming is getting pricey! Still, I’ll take it. Thanks for posting this!

Participant

Whats the addressof this pool? is it that really big one always full of kids in tongzilin?? Is it good for actual swimming or just playing? I need to get back in the habit of swimming daily but I’m not keen to fight kids for room, or accidentally knock any out downing a back stroke.

Participant

@msinglynx
    “Is it good for actual swimming or just playing?”

Some people swim. In my experience it’s best for grabbing a chair, bringing drinks and snacks, and hanging out on sunny days. It’s mostly for playing. Often kids playing for sure 😀

It’s not a rectangular shaped pool with well defined swim lanes, if you want a place to swim more than hang out on a sunny aft, there are several indoor places you can go, and lots of complexes have pools which may be more suitable for swimming laps than Orchard..if you check out complexes near yours and ask if they have a pool you may find one – with a small entry fee or whatever, or if you are looking for one in a particular area can ask and surely some people have found something that suits you.

Keymaster

It’s not a rectangular shaped pool with well defined swim lanes, if you want a place to swim more than hang out on a sunny aft, there are several indoor places you can go, and lots of complexes have pools which may be more suitable for swimming laps than Orchard..

Yup, I agree. The pool at Orchard Villas is good for chilling. Not great for swimming laps.

Keymaster

Anyone know when pools in Chengdu open again? I am on the lookout for pools already. This weather is awesome.

Participant

The one in my Xiao Qu doesn’t even have water in it. If I remember correctly, it didn’t open until like mid July last year. Then they drained it on August 30. I need to ask when it will open.

Maybe generate some demand among the children, stage a protest or two at the wuguan office.

Participant

Know of any new outdoor or indoor pools suitable for swimming laps? So much new development in Chengdu, perhaps there are a few new swimming pools?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.