Buying a Smart Phone Before Coming?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBuying a Smart Phone Before Coming?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

Finally, I should be moving Chengdu sometime next month. This forum has been great for info for me over the last 6 months or so. Just a question, I’m thinking about getting a smartphone soon (finally). Is it better for me to get it in NZ or wait until I get back to Chengdu and get one there? I think it is a bit cheaper in NZ thanx to the exchange rates, but will it be easily compatible/ transferrable in China?

Oh ps. many Kiwis over in Chengdu?

Keymaster

Hi Peter,

It depends on what kind of phone you’re getting. If you’re getting an iPhone, it’s cheaper over there. If you’re getting an Android device, it might be cheaper here, unless it’s a higher end phone in which case it might cost more to due to the import tax. There’s a street in Chengdu (Taisheng Nanlu) that’s filled with cell phone vendors and you can choose from hundreds of phones from 200 yuan to 2,000 and up.

Thanks Charlie,

Just wondering will it be easy to switch networks when I get there?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Just wondering will it be easy to switch networks when I get there?

It’s easy to switch networks as long as the phone supports GSM, which is what China Mobile and China Unicom use.

if you want to use 3G (China Unicom only, which really isnt that great to be honest) make sure the phone can use 1700/2100 bands.

*correction: just the 2100 Mhz band for China Unicom 3G

Thanks guys, really helpful. I think I should be alright get one before I leave.

Will my italian Samsung Galaxy S2 (unlocked) work in Chengdu ?

I need a 3g network connection, not just voice and messaging.

These are my mobile cellphone tech specifications:

http://www.samsung.com/it/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphones/top-smartphones/GT-I9100LKAITV-spec

GSM&EDGE Band: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

3G Band: 850/ 900/ 1900/ 2100

CDMA Band: 850/ 900/ 1900/ 2100

TD-SCDMA Band: N/A

GPRS: yes

EDGE: yes

3G : yes

What voice and 3g-connectivity providers will i be able to use ?

Thanks !

China Unicom is the only 3G provider and your phone should be compatible on their network (the 2100 band is what they use for 3G). Should be simple plug and play. You may also have to manually change your Access Point Names.

Just be warned that Unicom’s coverage is known to not be as good as China Mobile’s, but they don’t offer 3G. tradeoffs.

Thanks Chris ! It appears you’re a guru.

What about China Telecom ? Does it require a suitable device on their 3g-network ? How is their 3g network speed ? (might be more convenient to sell out my italian mobile and buy a new one there). I’m gonna move there for at least 2 years. Any link to english language websites is wellcome.

How is Unicom 3g coverage in Chengdu and surroundings ?

Thanks (once again)

Glad to help. I’m no guru though. I only know certain information from when I was figuring out what phone to bring to China (like you guys).

I don’t know much about China Telecom. I believe they are smaller than Unicom and Mobile and have some kind of proprietary 3G standard. The Unicom 3G coverage is OK for me near the city center and in my current apartment, but it’s very spotty and the speeds are pretty crappy for me. I’ll do a speedtest in a sec.

271435019.png

this is from right next to the american consulate. phone indicated that i was on HSDPA not 3G. i dunno these results seem misleading since theyre faster than results from my company’s wifi. but anyways, i think this is the best that is available. would be interested in what other users’ mobile phone speedtest results are.

i guess it feels much slower since i’m usually trying to access sites not hosted in China. like pictures of cats from reddit/imgur take forever to load.

Participant
    Quote:
    this is from right next to the american consulate

that’s amazing…

the best I ever got from 3G on unicom was:

269824717.png

it’s often 10% of that.

Participant

@Max F

Based on your situation – you have a good phone already, and 3G seems important to you. I’d suggest bringing your phone here getting a China Unicom SIM and trying it. If your not happy, come back and ask about your other options. You don’t have to commit just get a cheap monthly pre pay sim.

-Unicom has OK 3G in cities and most small towns. but coverage gets flaky if you really get to wilder places.

-Telecom and Mobile have better 3G coverage in the sticks, but that phone won’t work on their 3G, it won’t get on China Telecom at all.

Quote:
    that’s amazing…

The differences in our results likely has to do with the server location. I think mine is connecting to the Unicom server in Chengdu. imo the speed is not acceptable.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.