Buying a Suit in Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduBuying a Suit in Chengdu

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys,

Do you have any recommendations for me to but a suit in Chengdu? I’m looking for a good tailor made suit against a good price. Thanks!

Keymaster

I think this is your best bet, on June 2nd: Tailor Made Chengdu. If you’re interested, go in that thread and contact Michael M for more information or to reserve a spot.

Otherwise, it’s very difficult to get a high quality suit made in Chengdu. I don’t personally know anyone who’s done it.

Participant

Hmm, I need the suit sooner, anyone other suggestions?

Keymaster

Hmm, I need the suit sooner, anyone other suggestions?

There are a few Kwun Kee (HK tailor) locations in Chengdu: Kwun Kee tailor locations in Chengdu

Participant

Thanks for the suggestions! It seems rather high end, probably not too cheap. Perhaps I will just go for the first option… No good quality low price places here like in Shanghai or Beijing right? I see a business opportunity for a skilled Chinese tailor 😉

Participant

Tailor Made Chengdu event at Somerset Riverview this Sunday as Charlie mentioned. Anyone interested in coming along can drop me message or call me on 13880577514.

We’ll potentially have a branch of the tailor’s here in the future, so watch this space!

Participant

Thanks for the replies :). I just ordered a suit at a place in Shaanxi Jie; I’m not sure the quality will be good, but the tailor definitely knew what he was talking about (I can let people know after next week’ Sunday, if interested). In case I am not satisfied I’ll shoot you a text. I can’t be there on June 2nd unfortunately. I would definitely open a branch here, because if you ask me Chengdu really needs a good tailor who offers good quality suits (and shirts, etc), understands what kind of style we like to wear back home, for a good price (4000+ RMB at Kwun Kee is definitely out of my budget). With the right marketing (aimed at Westerners who care less about brands than about quality like myself ;)) I am sure there must be a market for it.

Participant

Cool, let us know how it goes. The tailor we’re cooperating with on these events has a shop in the Diplomatic residential area in Beijing and their customers are almost 100% foreigners, so if you’re not happy with your new suit let me know and I’ll hook you up next time!

Participant

I just had 3 suits fitted and ordered in Shanxi Jie, 2 were 1680 Yuan and the other was 900 Yuan, the two more expensive ones were from a tailor that ha far better quality materials and the guy who was quite young seemed incredibly professional indeed. Tr cheaper suit was made in the shop next door where i also ordered a couple of tailored shirts for 300 Yuan. The women here didn’t seem quite as professional but nonetheless at around £100 for a tailor made suit it is hard to go wrong. Im collecting them on the 16th so I’ll let you know how it goes.

@janwouter89
    it would seem that my suits are from the same tailor you bought yours from. Were you pleased with the end result?

Participant

That tailor was actually quite good. I have one suit and two pants now (of the high quality fabric – he distinguished between “low” and “high” quality), from that same young guy you mentioned, it’s like three shops on the right of that school you will walk past on Shanxi Jie.

I recommend you to bargain a bit harder next time. I promised him I would tell anyone the prices I got, so I won’t (But trust me, there’s a lot of space to bargain – sorry to say, but you paid more than you had to), and tell as many people as I know to go there, so I will (Go there!).

I’ve worn the suit for a little less than two months now, so far so good. I didn’t need any adjustments, he got the size and the way it fitted perfectly right the first time. Just one button is getting loose now, so I’ll go there to get it fixed – that’ll be free, he told me earlier. Tell him you want like Italian style if you want it more like European slim fit (I got that), or more American style if you like it a bit less slim fit. Anyway he has plenty of fashion books and stuff in which you can point out how you like your style.

pics?

Participant

I don’t know man.. I just go to Zara. The suits I have fit well off the rack, luckily I guess, and I find them to be good quality for the price which is pretty damn low 😀 Especially if their stuff is on sale.

It’s even cheaper in Sydney. I just picked up pants/jacket/shirt at a heavily discounted price of $160 AUD, all heavily discounted because it’s *gasp* last season. 😀 I saw similar discounts at zara in galleria earlier in July.

Participant

Yeah I realised afterwards that I should have tried haggling a bit but at he time £170 for a Super 120 Cashmere tailored suit seemed to be an absalute bargain as it was. I was going to have a couple of shirts tailored by him howeve he wanted 800 Yuan for 2 and refused to drop below 750 despite how hard I tried. I don’t suppose there is anywhere in Chengdu that sells good quality European shoes for around the 1000 Yuan mark. Unfortunately I can’t buy suits off the ral due to the arms always being too short. In fact any log sleeved clothing even in England is always too short

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.