Buying authentic Apple products in Chengdu?

HomeForumsIn ChengduBuying authentic Apple products in Chengdu?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Hi

I’m on the hunt after a Mac Book pro here in Chengdu and I have seen a lot of stores that sells them around the city. But the store does not always feel too authentic. Is there anyone that have bought Apple products here without any problems I would really like to know where.

Thank you

/Lowe

there is a place you can buy it with best after-sell services which is in 97 ren min south road , that building call 现代之窗,the shop is on the first floor. Hopefully, you will find it ~~

Participant

Maybe this thread can help as well

Participant

I recently purchased a MBP in Chengdu. I was considering buying from apple.cn to get an educational discount, but in the end it was too much hassle. I found a seller on taobao, went and checked out the product and purchased it from him. I got the computer for ~500 kuai less than apple.cn would have sold it to me even with an educational discount. If you don’t feel like searching sellers on taobao, HERE is a list of authorized retailers in Chengdu.

Participant

I’ve often heard that prices in Hong Kong are cheaper than mainland China. Has anybody purchased a mac from HK? Was it much cheaper?

It’s cheaper, by how much depends on where you buy it from in the mainland (official store, reseller or taobao).

If you’re heading to the US in the near future or know people that can bring you Apple products from the US it’s cheaper than HK.

Also HK iPhones have WiFi which is not available for mainland iPhones due specific deal terms with China Unicom.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I’ve often heard that prices in Hong Kong are cheaper than mainland China. Has anybody purchased a mac from HK? Was it much cheaper?

Hong Kong is cheaper than China, and is often literally the cheapest place to buy Apple products in the world. Source. This is mostly because of tax regulation in Hong Kong.

Quote:
    Also HK iPhones have WiFi which is not available for mainland iPhones due specific deal terms with China Unicom.

Wifi has been available on mainland China iPhones for years. I got an iPhone 4 in October 2010 on China Unicom and it has wifi.

I picked up a Mac Mini in HK recently, which had I bought on the Mainland would have cost me 20%+ more at official source/pricing. HK Apple stores are pricing the same figures, but at $HK, so my base model mini was $4688 HK intead of 4688 RMB. Current exchange rate is at $1.22 HK to 1 RMB.

Participant
    Quote:
    I picked up a Mac Mini in HK recently, which had I bought on the Mainland would have cost me 20%+ more at official source/pricing. HK Apple stores are pricing the same figures, but at $HK, so my base model mini was $4688 HK intead of 4688 RMB. Current exchange rate is at $1.22 HK to 1 RMB.

Nice. Was looking at one of those. I’m heading down to HK in July so will grab one then. Hopefully the new macbookpro is out by then too.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I picked up a Mac Mini in HK recently

Dope, this is for your music studio I assume?

Quote:
    Hopefully the new macbookpro is out by then too.

I’m hoping also… they’ll probably be announced on June 11th and might be available from that date forward in the US. Hopefully they get to HK soon, I’m waiting to upgrade also. Judging by speculation (retina display, thinner/lighter, no optical drive) they sound great.

Quote:
    Dope, this is for your music studio I assume?

As soon as I can retrieve it from the Twilight Zone that is Shanghai Customs, yes! I bought the base model i5, upped the ram to 1600MHz 8GB (as opposed to the 1333MHz that’s ‘officially’ the only ram that works), and swapped the hard drive for the new 750GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid. There’s still space inside the mini to run a 2nd drive, so at some point I’ll pop another Momentus in there and run a RAID 0. The mini is seriously underrated for the money. The i5 can apparently run up to 16GB 1800MHz ram, which here in China can be found for dirt cheap. The only downside of the new mini’s is the removal of the super drive, but that’s an easy fix if need be, with Apple selling a stand alone for 588 RMB.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    There’s still space inside the mini to run a 2nd drive, so at some point I’ll pop another Momentus in there and run a RAID 0.

Did you consider running an SSD? It will increase the performance vs RAID 0.

Quote:
    Did you consider running an SSD? It will increase the performance vs RAID 0.

I did, but SSD’s are still so expensive, and I want a larger storage volume inside the machine without it costing a small fortune. If I was using the mini for gaming, or a high volume of audio/video processing it would be a different matter, but seeing as it will mostly just be serving the DAW, I’m not going to be bothered by that performance gap too often. My 1st gen MacBook Pro was handling Reason/Record with 20+ tracks of audio running with only the occasional hang.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.