Buying birth control OTC in China?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBuying birth control OTC in China?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello Ladies! I am moving to Chengdu in June from the U.S. and I’m wondering what all I will need to do to continue my BC prescription when I get there. I heard that you can just buy it over the counter from drugstores in China; is that true? Can you get the same brands/dosage as you used at home? Thanks!

Participant

I don’t have a lot of info for you but since no one has commented yet I thought I’d tell you the little that I have found myself. You can get birth control pills over the counter here, but it won’t be the same brands as back home. I was only offered one brand and I can’t remember the name off the top of my head but it was something silly like, “Mistique”. I actually opted to get an IUD. If that’s something you’re interested in, PM me and I can give you more info on.

Participant

Thanks for the reply, Rachel! I have thought about an IUD in the past, but because I haven’t yet had a child, my PCP was not enthusiastic about it. Perhaps I would have access to a wider range of pills if I had them prescribed by my doctor with my insurance once I reach China? Have you had any experience dealing with the Chinese medical system? Such as finding a PCP, OBGYN, etc?

Participant

I’ve had two IUD’s put in, one in america that bothered me and ended up slipping out, and a different one here in China that is awesome. I’ve never had kids either. I love the IUD and would highly recommend it. Like I said, I don’t have a whole lot of info for you. I saw a doctor in the last city I lived in, in another province and she was a friend of my friend. The experience was great but that doesn’t help you in Chengdu. I know there is a women’s hospital though, you could probably google. I’ll ask my friend who used to live here if she knows anything.

Participant

Also, I remember before I came to China I was telling my GYN that I was leaving the country and worried about finding birth control and she hooked me up with almost a years worth of birth control pill samples for free. That might be worth trying to do to buy you some time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.