Buying Photo Equipment in HK – Worth It?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBuying Photo Equipment in HK – Worth It?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Recently was checking Canon cameras on taobao. The ones imported from HK seems to be almost 2 times cheaper then others (no clue were others are from). Mate has told me, that if I go to HK myself, price may be up to 40% lower than on HK stuff on Taobao. True/ false? Why initially HK cameras are a way cheaper on Taobao?

Regards

Participant
    Quote:
    Why initially HK cameras are a way cheaper on Taobao?

Electronics are way cheaper there because there is no sales tax (correct me if I’m wrong), a lot of this stuff gets smuggled to mainland China and ends up being cheaper than the local stuff.

For instance you can buy HK imported (smuggled) iPhone5’s for 4400 (equals HK price 5588HKD) here, while the exact same phone in China version is being sold for 5288. Hyooge price difference!

I guess it’s the same for photo camera’s

Keymaster

It’s definitely not 40% cheaper in Hong Kong, from my experience. It is cheaper and I would say it’s worth getting equipment in HK if:

1. You’ll be there anyway, or

2. You’re spending 6-10,000 yuan or more on equipment

Otherwise I would just buy in Chengdu.

Participant

You can buy a Canon 70-300 IS USM lens at £269.00 (2,479.67 RMB) via Hong Kong postage free from an established eBay vendor. You would need an eBay and PayPal accounts both registered to your address in China. You risk getting clobbered 20% import duty by Chinese Customs. I got caught when I had a cheap rubbish camera that was included as a sales incentive gift on a piece of second hand software. They calculate the duty on the full cost of the consignment including carriage and tax paid outside of China. You would probably have issues trying to get a warranty as the standard warranty (not included in the price) is aimed at UK customers. Either way, you would still have to return a faulty lens back to Hong Kong. Or you could fly to Hong Kong but finding a supplier with wholesale prices could be more difficult.

The best price I could negotiate for the same lens from Computer City on Renmin Nan Lu was 3000 RMB including a one year warranty.

Then there is Taobao where Google Translate never leaves me with a feeling of confidence that the supplier would be there to honour a guarantee always assuming that I can interpret the sales listing in Chinglish.

Participant

Sorry that HK price did not include the lens hood or valued at 304 RMB

So lens 2480

Hood 304

1 year Guarantee say 200

Total 2984

versus Computer City 3000

Participant

I bought one for 3100 in computer city few weeks ago 😉

Participant

I bought one for 3100 in computer city few weeks ago 😉

Participant

One of the best shops in HK is by far

Photo Scientific

Ground Floor, 6 Stanley St, Central, Hong Kong

Photo Scientific is the first camera shop I was introduced to in Hong Kong and a perennial favorite ask for Mr Poon.

My second choice would be Cam2 in Mong kok. Cam2. They have a shop on the main street but go to the back of the shop and take the lift to the 9th floor.

You can claim all your tax back at the border point or in any big shopping mall

Participant

One of the best shops in HK is by far

Photo Scientific

Ground Floor, 6 Stanley St, Central, Hong Kong

Photo Scientific is the first camera shop I was introduced to in Hong Kong and a perennial favorite ask for Mr Poon.

My second choice would be Cam2 in Mong kok. Cam2. They have a shop on the main street but go to the back of the shop and take the lift to the 9th floor.

You can claim all your tax back at the border point or in any big shopping mall

Participant

Pardhu, your price included a UV filter.

Participant

Pardhu, your price included a UV filter.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.