Shanghai Vs Chengdu for Suits?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionShanghai Vs Chengdu for Suits?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Dear Chengdu Living-ites

me ( Karen) and my husband Ian (who is Caucasian) will be in china for two weeks. It will be the first trip to Asia for Ian but I was born in chengdu and can still speak sichuan Hua well. We are planning only 3 days or so in shanghai and was wondering if anyone has advice if we should try to get a suit quickly made in shanghai with the caveat that we won’t have time to make lengthy alterations or come to chengdu and chance that the tailors will give us a hideous suit that un-fixable. I am leaning towards making it in chengdu as I think most things are salvageable. We are looking at probably a 1000-2000 rmb budget per suit

Also so has anyone tried the brand new suit republic?

would love advice on fun things for English speakers/mixed couples to do, I haven’t been back in 7-8 Years

Keymaster

I am leaning towards making it in chengdu as I think most things are salvageable. We are looking at probably a 1000-2000 rmb budget per suit Also so has anyone tried the brand new suit republic? would love advice on fun things for English speakers/mixed couples to do, I haven’t been back in 7-8 Years

I would make it in Chengdu at Suit Republic. I haven’t gotten a suit made there, but I know people who have, and I’ve had custom shirts made there – they are fantastic. I’m sure you’ll get a good quality suit here. There are certainly fine places to get a suit made in Shanghai but I’m just not certain where those are or how much they’d cost.

Participant

Awesome thanks! Any estimates what they charge for suits and shirts?

Keymaster

Awesome thanks! Any estimates what they charge for suits and shirts?

I think they start around 2,000rmb for suits, but you should speak to Michael (the owner of Suit Republic) to be certain.

Participant

I had a shirt made with Suit Republic and couldn’t be happier with it. The suits they had around looked pretty swank too. Would definitely recommend !

Participant

Hey can someone tell me how suit republic in chengdu would compare to getting a tailormade suit in thailand? I might go to thailand soon.

Keymaster

Hey can someone tell me how suit republic in chengdu would compare to getting a tailormade suit in thailand? I might go to thailand soon.

I think the price would be similar but I would be more comfortable at Suit Republic because it’s foreign owned and managed. I consider expertise in suits to be the domain of Westerners.

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>turtle wrote:</div>

I think the price would be similar but I would be more comfortable at Suit Republic because it’s foreign owned and managed. I consider expertise in suits to be the domain of Westerners.

Thanks but be careful to apply logic rather than experience to a situation like this. For example you would think that products made in China would be cheaper to buy in China than in Thailand, especially if you have to convert your Chinese salary to THB, yet for some totally unlogical reason I noticed it’s still much cheaper to buy clothing made in China in Thailand.

Keymaster

Thanks but be careful to apply logic rather than experience to a situation like this. For example you would think that products made in China would be cheaper to buy in China than in Thailand, especially if you have to convert your Chinese salary to THB, yet for some totally unlogical reason I noticed it’s still much cheaper to buy clothing made in China in Thailand.

I have no experience buying a suit in either Chengdu or Thailand, but if I were buying a suit and both cities were an option, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy in Chengdu at Suit Republic. I will probably buy a suit here in Chengdu because I’ve already gotten shirts there, the quality is great, and I know Michael and feel comfortable shopping there. I’ve been to Thailand many times but buying a suit there is much more of an uncertainty. If you or anyone knows of a reliable, high quality, and reasonably priced suit shop in Thailand, feel free to post that info here.

Participant

All of the Americans I know who have had suits made in China did so in Beijing, at stores that service tons of western businessmen suits every day. That’s not to say that Charlie’s friends store isn’t a good place to get a suit, but if I was going to try to get a suit made in Chengdu, it would be because it was cheap, and foreigners in Chengdu charge way more than the locals do.

Participant

@Andrew
    Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully see you in our Poly Center shop again soon.

@Charlie

As always appreciate your support! We do get lots of good feedback and try our best to get things right every time.

@Squirrel Suit
    We actually work with a tailor from Beijing and all our order are made there too. We have basically brought the Beijing custom suit experience to Chengdu. If you need any more info feel free to contact me.

Anyone interested in tailoring here in Chengdu can add my wechat: UKMichael or check out our shop at 1713, 17th Floor, Building A, Poly Center (The building opposite beer nest I)

Participant

I think making a suit in thailand is amazing..quality of work is good enough for me but of course is not like the custom made ones from hugo boss or armani. They come to ur hotel room in the morning and do the measurements and u pick the materials u want. By dinner all your suit, shirts and pants are ready at ur door step. Cost around rmb1000 for full suit, shirt and pant. How amazing can that be? I believe suit replubic cant beat that.. Apparently in thailand all tailoring shops have a centralized factory that have more than a thousand staffs and they all send it to the same factory and will get it ready the same day. Totally awesome

Participant

Thanks Henry78, I think you are right. Tho I haven’t tried it myself I also heard those 1000 rmb suits in Thailand are amazing, so at 3000 in chengdu it would almost be cheaper to take a flight to Thailand even if you’re just going for the suit 😛

I mean I’m not trying to take anything away from this shop, I’m just asking for verification of my plan of buying a suit on my next Thai trip, just to make sure I’m not going to accidentally pay more in Thailand than here.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.