Changing from Study to Work

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChanging from Study to Work

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, I am currently a student, on a residence permit (for studying), my permit is valid until January… but what if I found a good job that wants me to start work in August?

Would it be difficult to change between a residence permit for studying to one for work? Would I need to go back to my home country, the USA, or to Hong Kong and get a Z visa?

Thank you

Participant

I did that switch a while back; according to the visa regulations at that time, I had to leave the country and go to Hong Kong in order to get a “foreign” stamp on my visa. YMMV

The harder part will probably be getting through the summer; if you’re here on a student visa then it probably expires in June, so you’ll have to find some way to stick around until August or else leave for July and August.

Participant

@Liam his permit seems like an annual permit valid til Jan regardless of school year.

@Craig As I understand it, you’re asking if you can switch from a valid student visa to a work visa and what that process entails. Right now, if you’re on an X1 (long term student visa, which appears you are) you can work in China as long as your school agrees and your employment is registered. You will need 2 years consistent work experience in order to change to a Z visa though, so if you haven’t had a couple years previous to coming to China in the field of desired employment here, may not be accepted for work visa application.

If you are accepted, I don’t know if students transitioning to Z have to abide by the same rules as L visa transitioning under the new laws – I would guess that you would NOT have to exit, if you met the Z requirements, since X1 holders are already allowed to work in China. Can’t be positive on that one though, can always verify with PSB.

Participant

Thank you for the information. It isn’t too bad if I have to leave China to get Z visa, but it’s a big inconvenience.

Initially I was planning on staying as a student, but I can’t pass up this job offer. It is a good job, and I am excited to start the job in August.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.