Chengdu on the front page of the New York Times!

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChengdu on the front page of the New York Times!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey, just noticed that the ‘Du gets a mention in today’s New York Times (www.nyt.com). Good stuff!

Participant

The gist of the article is about the outside of Chengdu, mainly the farmland… Its great that the gov’t is developing the rural areas, but they GOT TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE TAXIs!! I mean, it costs me 100 RMB just to get home from the Pug, they love ripping me off! The taxis even call it in to get a price quote to send me home (off the meter of course). Other than that, good reading.

To be honest, i thought the NYT was going to write something on the UFO that closed an airport in Chengdu, some few days ago. Cant find anything on that subject in English (besides the conspiracy theory sites).

Participant

Thanks for the link Jerry S (my old Commodore 64 computer that i’m typing this on can;t handle such complex tasks).

I thought it was a pretty interesting piece and plan to show it to some of my students, at least to demonstrate that western media coverage of the PRC is not all negative.

I gotts to say jerry, how do they rip you off?? You get in, you tell him to use the metre, if he goes a stange, roundabout way, tell him which way to go…

Quote:
    my old Commodore 64 that i’m typing this on can;t handle such complex tasks

You’re serious!!?

Participant

Man, i’m old school….playing a scratchy 45 right now, then gonna watch some tv on the woodgrain black and white….man, the Commodore has some wicked games, but the datasette takes 20 minutes to load!

That’s why I asked, I had a C64 myself all those years ago. It was the first computer to use the SID chip, blowing away the then popular ZX Spectrum (had one of those too!). Even today the sounds of the SID chip are popular, I have a whole variety of sample packs based on bona fide SID chip sound sets.

I think a date with your C64 is in order!!

So good: http://www.elektron.se/products/sidstation (sadly discontinued, but the sounds are out there!)

Participant

Had to google Commodore 64, i been hearing about it lately, as a meme, so this is what i got:

CPU MOS Technology 6510

@ 1.023 MHz (NTSC version)

@ 0.985 MHz (PAL version)

Memory 64 kB RAM + 20 kB ROM

Graphics VIC-II (320 × 200, 16 colors, sprites, raster interrupt)

Man.. Old school tech! I wonder how much it goes for on Ebay. Heres what i got: Asus G73S

Intel Core i7 i7-2630QM 2GHz – 8GB DDR3 SDRAM – 500GB HHD.

To be honest… I need ‘goods’ internet for this baby to be used right.. China lacks on that dept, (why didnt i pick Korea!?)

As for the taxi’s, their logic for ripping me off is ‘If i bring you there, how will i get customers, no one rides taxis in your area!’ Kinda dumb, since they get paid by the hour.. Dont they? And i tip the ones that dont rip me off, because i like honest people.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    To be honest… I need ‘goods’ internet for this baby to be used right.. China lacks on that dept, (why didnt i pick Korea!?)

Yeah, getting fast internet is really no small task here. The situation has been improving, albeit very slowly. When I first got to Chengdu the maximum download speed I could get anywhere was about 100k/s, and that was on a good day.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.