Chengdu's Apple Store Opens This Weekend

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChengdu's Apple Store Opens This Weekend

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Participant

It’s always cheaper in HK. SOOOO… Just to let yall know, ill be going to HK from Feb 13th to 19th. If anyone needs anything, we can strike a deal on electronic items.

Quote:
    As it’s the season of good will, maybe those with iPhones can post addresses they want to find here, Android owners can look them up on their behalf? 🙂

I guess you didn’t hear that iPhone users now have the best of both worlds!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/12/3760770/google-maps-iphone-available-features-navigation-transit

Participant

“you are not what you own” -” Merchandise”, words and lyrics by Fugazi from the album “Repeater”.. Shit, guess that makes me that guy….

Quote:
    I haven’t been to this place but I’ll cycle over there on Saturday to check it out.

Charlie, take some pics if you do go on Saturday. Given the massive demand for apple products in Chengdu now, it’ll be interesting to see the public reaction to the official store opening.

Participant

Tonight at 0.00 Unicom will start selling iPhone 5’s at kehua beilu. They were building a huge stage now. Maybe worth to check it out too if you have the time.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Charlie, take some pics if you do go on Saturday. Given the massive demand for apple products in Chengdu now, it’ll be interesting to see the public reaction to the official store opening.

I will do that, I will publish them on the blog along with an article I’ve already written about Apples expansion in China. I’m also really curious to see what it’s like. Some questions I have already:

– How will a Chengdu Apple store differ from one in the US?

– What’s an Apple Store opening in China like? Is it mayhem? (Sascha was at the opening of the Shanghai store so it will be interesting to compare)

I’ve located someone who’s apparently already been hired to work there also, I will ask questions. I’m specifically interested in the training that people there get and whether Apple employees from other cities or countries are sent to a store opening.

Quote:
    Tonight at 0.00 Unicom will start selling iPhone 5’s at kehua beilu.

I don’t think I’ll be able to make it out to that, but it is interesting that iPhone 5 goes on sale at midnight in China! I didn’t expect that.

Participant

It’s nice that apple maps have Metro line two, but there isn’t much else. Try searching for the apple store!

Google standalone map app is now available!

-Brian

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Google standalone map app is now available!

Just got it, pretty slick! It looks like the newly-redesigned Gmail app – very minimal.

Participant

Did anyone go to the store? I went there late last night to check out the queue, but there was nobody there. Perhaps the mall/China do not want people to gather outside the store.

Know if there are any offers? I’m planning to buy some stuff but might do it later if there aren’t any tempting offers.

Keymaster

I went there on Saturday and it was absolutely rammed. I have a post about it that’ll be published within the next day, I’ll post the link here when it’s up. I got photos and spoke to a few people working there, including some foreigners who were shipped here from “flagship” Apple Stores in other countries.

Interesting articles about suspicions that the central gov’t and CCTV are trying to bring down Apple and Google to foster their own domestic products.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonchang/2013/03/24/did-china-just-declare-war-on-apple-sure-looks-like-it/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/05/us-china-google-android-idUSBRE9240B220130305

Participant

@Chris

Great articles.

This part was HILARIOUS: “Post around 8:20.”

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Interesting articles about suspicions that the central gov’t and CCTV are trying to bring down Apple and Google to foster their own domestic products.

This is absolutely true, I believe there is no doubt about it. This recent thing was just a very poorly implemented, botched job. Big surprise. The Chinese market is worth an insane amount of money, and will be worth a ludicrous amount of money in 5 years. China wants that money, power, and influence staying in China. It will do what it can to stop Google and Apple. It certainly has its work cut out.

Quote:
    Post around 8:20

Oh my goodness that’s priceless. Totally unsurprising, but priceless.

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.