Chinese Corner in Yulin

HomeForumsIn ChengduChinese Corner in Yulin

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys. My Chinese has plateaud and I was looking for options to improve. So, I found a Chinese teacher willing to give Chinese corner on my rooftop and a bunch of my chinese friends have volunteered to join in.

So, every Tuesday and Thursday (not today) 7-9 at #36 Fangcaojie, Ruishenghuayuan 1 dong 1 danyuan 701 (the rooftop) you can come check it out. All the foreigners who come should pay 15RMB to the teacher’s assistant. Chinese friends are welcome free of course. (We generally have 4-5 Chinese people volunteering to come, not including the teacher, so if you are new in town it’s a good, no pressure way to meet people. BTW we are mostly couchsurfers.)

For now the class is at an advanced beginner/low intermediate level but it will depend on the student’s abilities. The subjects will tend toward conversational/topical classes like “global warming and what can we do” or useful classes like “OMG that motherfucker just drove his GD taxi into my bike!!1!! Oh shit my arm is broke…” and that kind of topic.

Also, some of you might know the teacher, her name is Colby and she does sometimes do the bike ride down to Dojo for the house party.

Anyway, if you plan to come to any of the Chinese corners please RSVP by TEXT to 13540430337 by the morning of the same day. If we dont get at least 3 RSVPs per class we will cancel for that day. If you suddenly want to come, text first and make sure it hasn’t been canceled. Hope to see some of you guys 😀 the first few classes have been fun and we plan to make this a regular thing.

Participant

This sounds great, so I’ll definitely be attending a few of these. I’m not sure how to measure my own level, but any practice that I can get in a relaxed environment such as this will invaluable, I’m sure. However, on Tuesday nights I’m teaching until 7/7:30. Though I’ll likely, still make the trip as 15rmb is a very appealing price tag.

One question: What do you do when it rains?

Participant

Callum! You also start teaching? !!!!!!

Participant

Hi Callum. We have a sunroom on the roof. It’s not outdoors.

Participant

sounds like a good idea and tuesdays and thursdays are my days off 🙂 now hopefully i can find it lol…. i’ll text you later.

Participant

This is a great idea, especially for beginning Chinese language learners.  Although immersion with native speakers is useful, it’s easier to pick up on basic mistakes when surrounded by any number of people facing the same issue and coming at it from the same language background.  It’d be cool to check this out sometime!

I would recommend launching the topic for discussion the week or session in advance.  This way it gives people of all levels time to prepare on their own some of the vocab or grammar they feel they might use.

Participant

Hi Trevor, it’s quite easy to find, just get off at Nijiaqiao subway stop, go to nijiaqiao street and keep going strait west until it turns into fangcao xi er jie. On that corner is the apartment complex, you have to turn south on fangcao jie for a block or so to get to the entrance gate and then u call me to go let you in. easy 😀

Hey Mr Klink. We just started this project so any advice is useful. I will let the teacher know. Hope to see you guys theres this week.

Participant

Hi guys. Just a reminder that we will have Chinese corner tomorrow night at 7-9. The topic is going to be “describing people and jobs”. Please text me at 13540430337 to RSVP so we know how many people are coming.

~tina

Participant

Hi guys. We are having Chinese corner again. I hope some of you join us. I’m looking forward to meeting Callum.
    ~Tina

Participant

Hey Tina. Was hoping to come to this tonight. Currently to not have an operating chinese phone number. Do you have a wexin that works?

Also, is there a topic for tonight?

Participant

Also also, can you post your address in Chinese? Or add me on weixin and send it. weixin number is “ender1”. name is 三才.

Looking forward to it!

Participant

hey ur name is tina? anyways im a chinese, and im curious about how to teach chinese,   i’ve been to some english corner. maybe not tonight, next week would be also ok to join right?

Participant

Well that was fun. While it was a little above my current level, I still picked up some valuable stuff. It’s the first time I’ve learned to actually put together a sentance rather than just phrases, and the vocab that came out of it was great.

See you next time.

Participant

Would this sort of thing be of benefit to a total beginner (studying < 3 months on my own), or would I just be totally lost? It sounds like a cool event.

Participant

Hey guys, I wont be around this week, I’m going to Hong Kong but Colby will have the Chinese corner in the same place (though, sorry, the house will be closed so please use the bathroom before you come).
    The corner will be Saturday 3-5pm and tuesday 7-9. If saturday doesnt work out we will change it back to thursday.
    Heh Callum, Zack is way past my level too, but it’s a language corner, not a class as such and with so many chinese people coming just to hang out and help us, there are plenty of people you can ask to explain what you dont know. I think it’s super beneficial (especially if you like learning rude or offensive or amusing words as much as I do).
    Hi Andrew, yeah I think it’s good for beginner. I’m actually not sure if it’s not too simple for people who know more but the truth is if you can speak chinese with a good size vocabulary, there are plenty of places for you to practice, so this corner will probably still to beginner/low intermediate level for a while.

It was great meeting you guys and I look forward to hanging out again. Hope to meet a bunch of new people next saturday.

Participant

Hey guys so a bunch of you contacted me on thursday and I think only one person contacted me about saturday so we will probably move the corner back to thursday (I just have to double check with colby for sure). I’m not in Chengdu until friday and between the trains and hanging out in hong kong I can’t see your texts so if you plan to go please contact Colby directly at 18628067002. The next one is this tuesday. I will check with her and let you know if the other will be on thursday or saturday.

Participant

Just letting you guys know that Chinese corner will be tuesday and thursday this week 7-9pm. You can call me or colby for directions at the numbers posted previously. See ya tomorrow!

Participant

Wondering if the corner is still happening tonight, hoping to come and check it out

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.