Chinese Government Scholarship

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChinese Government Scholarship

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Avatar photoTy.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, I’m finishing up my bachelor’s degree in Economics this coming May in the US and was hoping to travel to China for my master’s.

I’m looking into scholarships but am having some trouble finding concrete information.

I was looking at this site http://scholarship.cucas.edu.cn/HomePage/2010-09-15/page_3.shtml
    however some of the links it leads to at csc.edu.cn are dead.

My main concern is that it says that candidates should apply between January and April every year but I won’t have my degree until May…
    I would need to take the 1-2 years of language courses though so I was thinking of just applying for the Chinese Language Training scholarship and then applying for a Master’s program later on.

Has anyone had experience with these programs and applying to them from the United States? How difficult is it to obtain these scholarships (do they take into account GPA and whatnot)?

Participant

Hi Ty

Here’s the link you need: http://en.csc.edu.cn/ It should have most of the information you need and the online application.

I got a year-long CSC fellowship in 2012 at Sichuan University while doing my MA at a US university.

If you want to do more than study Chinese, there’s a language requirement. I believe it’s an HSK 5 for graduate studies, but some programs may require an HSK 6 certification. I had a 6 when I applied. Note that this is true even if the program you want in to is in English. I would really discourage taking an English degree program at anywhere in China, though. Very few of the teachers have very good English at all and the programs themselves are there basically to look good on brochures.

Applying before you’ve graduated should be fine, you wouldn’t start until the following September anyway.

I know I did an online application as well as a physical application which was sent to the Chinese embassy in the US, where I was studying at the time. You do need to include transcripts, so a good GPA wouldn’t hurt. I know I also included my GRE scores for the hell of it. The letters of recommendation are the most important bit, though. Make sure you get at least one written in Chinese if you want in to something more than a language degree.

Participant

Awesome! Thank you for this information.

I think I’m going to apply for the language program, but the reason I was concerned about applying this next semester is that I won’t be able to send in my diploma until after the application deadline.

Anyway, how was your time at Sichuan University? I really enjoyed my undergraduate semester I did at SWUFE and wouldn’t mind returning to Chengdu but I’m also looking at universities in Shanghai and Beijing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.