Chinese New Year

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChinese New Year

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What’s it like during Chinese New Year? I would’ve thought there would be some sort of celebration or something to see, but other people I’ve talked to said basically there is nothing to do as almost everyone takes off so everything shuts down.

Which is it? I ask because my dad is coming to visit around that time. If everything is closed down maybe he should just wait and come afterward.

Keymaster

Tons of fireworks. Other than that, it’s pretty quiet in Chengdu for that week. Most of the city leaves and goes back to their hometown for that week. It feels weird but it’s kind of nice to have that kind of quiet once a year.

Quote:
    Tons of fireworks.

That translates to the craziest firework bonanza you’re likely to see in your life, along with some death defying feats involving passing cars, pedestrians, short fuses, and… more fireworks!!

I enjoyed it here last year during the shut down. Places are still open, but it’s definitely not business as usual. If you were planning on showing your Dad around and seeing Chengdu, it’s probably a great time to do it. It feels even more laid back, and there are less people in your face.

Participant

Another question – when and where is it best to buy plane tickets for travel over CNY? elong/qunar/ctrip..?

This site has often found the cheapest results when I’ve been booking/looking;

http://en.cnutg.com/

Where are you headed?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Another question – when and where is it best to buy plane tickets for travel over CNY? elong/qunar/ctrip..?

Ctrip and eLong usually offer the same fares but I always purchase from eLong because their service is better.

Participant

@Brendan – thanks for the tip. I’m potentially ($$$ permitting) heading to Hainan. If that fails maybe Hanoi..

@Charlie – have found elong to generally be easier to use but had awesome customer service from ctrip in the past. It’s a toughie

Participant

Already got the earplugs. Those all-night noisy firecrackers get real old, real quick….

Participant

Thanks for adding that question in Danielle. May help me in trying to plan my trip to Manila.

Participant

http://en.cnutg.com/ keeps giving me an “Invalid Entry” error. Will try it again tomorrow.

eLong looks pretty good. It has the option to pay by credit card, but are international cards ok?

Participant

My experience is that both Ctrip and elong take international cards.

Regarding Chinese New Year in Chengdu, in past years;

Over the period JinLi is ‘expanded’ to include the grounds of Wuhou with a lantern display, more snacks food vendors and the like – with a 20RMB entry.

On Midnight of actual New Year, many people go to Wenshuyuan and the surrounding sites/temples.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.