Cloud Backup – Good or Bad Idea?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionCloud Backup – Good or Bad Idea?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello Everyone,
    I was wondering if any of you uses any type of cloud storage to backup data in the cloud?

I was using Dropbox but now that I’ve reached my free gigs limit, I’m not sure I should go for the paid version.
    Especially as I recently used CloudBacko. They offer 100 TB for free (here’s the referral link: (mod redacted huehuehue)

Is anyone else using a similar solution? I’d love to know!!

Thanks

Participant

I’d never store anything important in a not-top-tier cloud service, and avoid storing anything truly confidential in any cloud service. Free cloud services ran by companies in the British Virgin Islands (ie can never be sued if they do things massively illegal) and founded in 2014, leveraging other free cloud storage services, seem a little fishy to me – so do first posts that seem inquisitive and asking for help but are obviously blatant advertisements.

Participant

DropBox is quite pricy and people speculate that it might be difficult for them to keep up with the competitors. Microsoft recently announced that their OneDrive plans now all have unlimited storage. A OneDrive plan is $6.99 per month I believe. Not sure whether OneDrive is blocked or not in China.

Personally I use iCloud, since I trust Apple more than many of the other providers out there and I think it’s less likely to be blocked in China compared to other services similar to DropBox. The iCloud plans are also very affordable these days.

I do backups to an external hard drive and also to iCloud. If you want your data to be safe then do redundant backups. If your home burns down or is robbed then you might lose backups you keep there. Similarly cloud services can be hacked etc. I do backups to an external drive and also backup to iCloud – the kind of data I don’t mind too much if someone else get his/her hands on.

There’s another related thread here: https://www.chengduliving.com/forums/topic/free-cloud-storage/

Participant

I would never back up important data to a cloud system and the expect it to be secure from prying eyes.  Since we live in China, backing up to a single source outside of China isn’t a wonderful idea either with the issues of China-International communications.

A grandfather/father/son back-up schedule to two external drives stored at two different locations is probably more accessible and secure.

Keymaster

I think any good backup solution must include cloud backup. I use Dropbox for my work files (I used this method to get 22gb for free) and I use Copy for everything else. I also have Amazon Glacier which I use to back up websites, but it works well for long-term file storage.

I personally wouldn’t use any China-based backup solutions. I don’t trust them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.