Cost/Availability of iPad service

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionCost/Availability of iPad service

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Avatar photoBen.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have a GSM iPad 2 which comes unlocked so I was wondering about getting service for it when I get to Chengdu. I read somewhere that there were 2 different carriers that support it. Anyone know what carriers there are and roughly what the plans cost and include?

Thanks,

Keymaster

I don’t have an iPad on 3G but I think the cost is something like 60 yuan per month for 1gb of bandwidth. I’ll ask a friend who has this to come in here and post more info.

Participant

There are two carriers in Chengdu that I know of. One is China mobile, then other is China Unicom. Apparently, China Unicom is the better choice because the reception is supposed to be more stable and available through the city. Not sure if this is true though cause I just use Unicom, but it’s fine usually. You can buy the sim card in one of Unicom’s offices or in one of the computer malls or in many other places that cell phone services. I paid 440 for 6 months which is about 73 kuai a month for up to 1 gig of service. Maybe able to get it cheaper, but I’m not sure about this. Probably a good idea to check around one of the computer malls and see If you can maybe get a special price.

Chine Mobile’s 3G network uses their proprietary TD-SCDMA standard, so isn’t comparable with any imported devices. The only choice you have is China Unicom.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.