'Crazy English' founder Li Yang divorce nugget…

HomeForumsGeneral Discussion'Crazy English' founder Li Yang divorce nugget…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Briefly reading the report on the court ruling for Lee Li (wife) this morning I got stopped in my tracks reading this little nugget quoted by Li Yang’s lawyer…

“Domestic violence is when a man hits and injures his wife frequently over a long time but has no reason, but my client did that because he had conflicts with his wife,” Shi said, adding that the public and media have been biased against Li.

Oh China.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Oh China.

What? Is that what they call a good lawyer in China? The Crazy English founder can’t be broke, right?

Quote:
    The Crazy English founder can’t be broke, right?

Far from it, his settlement was probably less than he’s made in a good month. This has got to hurt his ability to shout English loudly on stage and get paid for it though.

Participant

I happen to be in that Crazy Camp right now. I have to admit that it is PRETTY CRAZY and feebleminded! By the time I get out of this “Death Camp” I might be as crazy as the students and the staff here.

There are nearly 1000 students pulled here by their parents to have even more INTENSIVE training (7am – 10 pm) than they have in their daily lives. The organisers are once again making shit loads of usury on parents foolishness.

The whole idea of this madness is to lock their poor minds even more…the program is military alike, has barely to do anything with English learning as a language rather than shouting out systematically imperialistic and patriotic slogans IN ENGLISH. Obviously the students have no idea what so ever, what do they read from their books.

There are 12 low paid foreign teachers who have to cope four huge classes per day (40-50 students). Most of us ended up here literally through lies by the agent who makes a RIDICULOUS CUT from our work and foremost – nerves!

Regarding that controversial figure Mr. Yang, he will appear here by the last day and we have to be with him on the stage.

In conclusion, guys please tell me if there is a separate thread or column where to report the name, number and the company of this deceitful AGENT. Let there be no-one else in the future stepping into this ‘bucket” as we did.

Participant

it’s not hard to find seemingly ridiculous arguments from the lawyer in a rather unjustifiable case, in any country, no?

Participant

Why don’t you guys leave if it’s that CRAZY? It’s not like finding another ESL job would be hard.

Participant

Kinda reminds me of Ike Turner when asked why he hit Tina: cat replied “that’s called career guidance”…. Ike was a very, very bad man.

Participant

(quote) “……but my client did that because he had conflicts with his wife,”

This is an aweful excuse! If you can beat anyone when you have conflicts with them, there are few alive people in the world. The world will be in a chaos!

I never like the way that the CRAZY ENGLISH does. Learning a language should be interesting and inspiring, not pushing someone or a little child like a farm cattle.

Participant

he once came to my high school to give his CRAZY speech on English learning. It was crap. All he does is persuading stupid students into buying his useless books, and unfortunately many of my schoolmates did. And i remember that on some Chinese talkshows he told audience shamelessly that he didn’t marry Kim out of love.

He had always been a coldblood businessman in my impression long before the Domestic Violence case.

Quote:
    it’s not hard to find seemingly ridiculous arguments from the lawyer in a rather unjustifiable case, in any country, no?

No, I’d agree with you, though the sensibility of said arguments might be considerably more grounded or reasonable than suggesting an acceptance of domestic violence. My interest in this is more than the statement from the lawyer. This story highlights the common facade that is ‘face’, and Li Yang is a personified magnification of this.

Participant
    Quote:
    Why don’t you guys leave if it’s that CRAZY? It’s not like finding another ESL job would be hard.

Its not about finding another ESL job or not. We already travelled a whole day to this craphole far from Chengdu. Had a huge argument since we arrived but managed to cut our working hours.

Nevertheless, since second day, I already realised that for me, personally, it was not worth it.

Now once again asking if anyone recommends me a special column where to warn about the agent and her promises? For the sake of the teachers and newcomers who may not be aware of the relation between the required work and offered salary.

Quote:
    Now once again asking if anyone recommends me a special column where to warn about the agent and her promises?

Start a thread yourself Margus and invite people to bump it with similar info/warnings of anyone not shooting straight in Chengdu. I’m sure there’s a few tales to be told.

Participant

Holy shit Margus I’m sorry to hear that. I worked a Li Yang camp once in a suburb of Beijing and it was pretty fun.

I taught kids who were Juniors and Seniors in high school as well as a class of adults.

The adults all knew it was a complete ripoff and I was perplexed at why they even did it. On the final night of the camp they skipped out on the final ceremony (more on this later) and all got together and had a huge party in their classroom with copious amounts of dried squid, peanuts, and harbin. On the first day they gave us a SHIT textbook. It was as if someone was trying to make the absolute work English textbook possible. No pictures, printed out of a xerox machine, and the dialogues made no sense. Half of them had like half an inch missing to a margin. I had taught English before and was doing it as favor to one guy who worked at the company so I just threw out the book on the first day and taught the adults from scratch.

With the teenagers I realized eventually that they just wanted to party. These kids were a few months from the throes of the Gaokao so we taught some conversation here and there mostly “FAHNSANKYU” English but spent most of our time learning to sing Yellow by Coldplay and I Want it That Way by the Backstreet Boys.

The Chinese teachers gave me unlimited free cigarettes (which I was into at the time) and the cafeteria food was really dope downhome Chinese. You’ll probably have a lot more fun if you just try to have fun in class. The amount of English or teaching actually that happens when you’re a Li Yang English teacher/camp counselor/baby sitter/dancing monkey is scant at best.

Participant

Hi Chach. I can only say that you were very lucky. I once watched a video of CRAZY ENGLISH and I really think that Li Yang and his students who brandished their hands in that video were as crazy as Hitler and his army!

Hi Margus. I agree with Brendan. You can set up a new post or start a new topic and warn others. Maybe not only here, also in the forum of Gochengdoo.

Participant

Guys many thx for support!

I will then start a separate thread. I was just wondering if there is any separate column already in existence so I wouldnt double it.

Chach, I agree with you. I am here rather a clown and a demigod (for those who have never seen a foreigner) than a teacher.

Of course I give my best to keep kids happy. No matter what I actually think about it, Ive still preserved my common sense and compassion when it comes to students happiness. While on the other hand it is hard to see the same from our “assistance” staff who asks us to listen all of the kids’ (appr. 100 kids per face) reading skills in our FREE time, dance and sign on the stage and in general – be a crazy clown.

Besides giving endless signatures, taking constantly photos and dealing with FOUR BIG classes per day is SOOOOooo exhausting…

The fact how much we get for this makes it an unpleasant experience. Most of us were told to have a laid back and cool winter camp with max 20 kids per class. No word about CRAAZZZYYYY brainwash camp nor about the actual number of students, that the place is a shithole on top of a construction and that we, with our work, are supporting the ideology of MR. womenbeater and his wealth.

Never heard of this so I did some research. I’m in the middle of this long, but well written article about it. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/04/28/080428fa_fact_osnos?currentPage=1

Is this what your experience is like, Margus?

Participant

Yes, yes, yes.. Tomorrow morning I might actually witness this hysteric speech of his.

For sure I’m going to be his target sitting next to him on the stage.

Participant

Margus,

Give him a slap then tell him it’s ok because you have issues with his teaching methods.

Participant
    Quote:
    Shouting, Li argues, is the way to unleash your “international muscles.”

hahaha

Participant

Show us some pictures, Margus. 🙂 Im very interested, haha! 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.