Dojo House Party, Saturday 11/23

HomeForumsIn ChengduDojo House Party, Saturday 11/23

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Dojo has a website! See it here: Chengdu Dojo

The eighth house party at Dojo is upon us. If you guys haven’t heard about these events, they are already the stuff of Chengdu legend. Here’s what’s at this event:

Eight DJ’s are on the actual lineup, and more will perform. Many from Chengdu and more DJ’s from Chongqing than you will find anywhere in Chengdu, no question. We are uniting with the best folks in our sister city of Chongqing to break group in the regional music scene. No pop music and lots of musical diversity – house, techno, drum & bass, and hip hop. Big sound! Three areas, indoors and out.

For those who don’t know, this is a geodesic dome that we custom built – our music festival power move, which debuted at the Chongqing Neverland Music Festival earlier this year. We trick it out with live visuals, too.

In addition to a rack of DJ’s, we have an in-house American VJ who provides live visuals. See live visualizations with imagery from badass television shows and movies like The Simpsons, Beavis & Butthead, and much more. Each event features new content that’s unveiled throughout the night.

We cooperate with Sinostage, the most elite street dance organization in Chengdu, which regularly hosts some of the world’s best dancers and choreographers to lead classes.

Turns out this house came with a ping pong table. It quickly turned into a beer pong table. Then it turned into a cosmic beer pong table, which has been a hit. Black lights, glowing balls, glowing water: you know the deal.

We’re up in the kitchen cooking up magic. Seriously, the food is really good and some of this stuff you can’t get anywhere else. Like Deep Fried Oreos, Grilled Cheese with Bacon, and our famous Baijiu Watermelon. This time we’re preparing new food items that you probably haven’t seen before. We’ll keep that a surprise.

Qingdao is 10 yuan, or you can ball out on Beerlao for 20 yuan, player. We have Jungle Juice, locally brewed beer, and jello shots, too.

• Starts at 7pm, goes really late
    • Free entry
    • Location is in Flower Town, the address and Google Map is here

You can take a taxi directly there, which will cost you about 50 yuan from Chengdu. Split it with friends and get there cheap and easy.

You can also the subway, get off at the second to last stop on the Eastern end of Line 2 (it’s called Honghe, ??). At exit A1 you’ll see cars with the Dojo logo who’ll take you to our gate for 15-20 yuan.

The same drivers will be waiting at our gate to take you back into the city late at night in whatever state of inebriation you’re in as long as you can communicate a location.

All this info is on the official Dojo website.

Spread the news and bring your friends. The more the merrier. There’s a possibility that this will be the final Dojo event. Fingers crossed, we’re hoping it’s not.

You can see some photos of previous Dojo events here and follow Dojo on Weibo here.

Lastly, here’s a music video that we filmed at the October 2013 Dojo event with Conrank from London:

Participant

Again!  Again!!

Participant

Come sure but late around 00:00 DJ Vinoteca before ..

picture of last time is not in the dojo website 😉 and the link down in the website is wrong is funandbike.fr not .com

http://funandbike.fr/portfolio/dojo-conrank-october-2013-chengdu/

Keymaster

picture of last time is not in the dojo website ;) and the link down in the website is wrong is funandbike.fr not .com http://funandbike.fr/portfolio/dojo-conrank-october-2013-chengdu/

Thanks for reminding me Adrien, the photos are here: Dojo Photos.

I fixed the link to your site also. Great photos, thanks!!

Participant

From a thread entitled What is the most fucked up shit you’ve seen at a party?

• Orgy, including the host’s wife, at 3AM in the neighbors pool.
    • Russian Roulette.
    • Kevin Spacey showing up.

I think we need to step up our game, guys.

@Adrien, Would you mind sharing some guidance on what kind of settings you’re taking these photos with? Doing anything in post? I seldom get shots as good as these in a party setting. Also, how much/how little are you drinking to maintain your focus?

Keymaster

Thanks everyone for coming to this and supporting Dojo. We thought that this event might not be well attended due to cold weather (and then the rain) but we were wrong: it was packed! The fires outside really set it off. We also hosted a few additional DJs that weren’t on the lineup: Marco Duits and Big Loco.

One thing we noticed about this event in particular was how crazy the upstairs room was. It was like a party in itself, separate from everything happening downstairs. Mike Weed and Slim Doctor represented Chongqing hard and held it down upstairs all night.

I personally got to sleep around 8:30am on Saturday night but I know that others were up until 10am. Epic!!

From a thread entitled What is the most fucked up shit you’ve seen at a party?

I don’t think we’ve seen anything on that level… but I would say that crazy things have happened at Dojo that haven’t happened anywhere else in China.

@Adrien, Would you mind sharing some guidance on what kind of settings you’re taking these photos with? Doing anything in post? I seldom get shots as good as these in a party setting. Also, how much/how little are you drinking to maintain your focus?

You really need to use an external flash with TTL (ie. automatic mode), preferably with a diffuser. Set a wide aperture (f2.0 – f2.8), relatively long exposure (1/6s or faster), and a fast ISO (400-800). The flash will freeze the foreground and the long exposure time will catch the ambience of the background.

There are a ton of guides on how to do this online, try Googling it.

Participant

You really need to use an external flash with TTL (ie. automatic mode), preferably with a diffuser. Set a wide aperture (f2.0 – f2.8), relatively long exposure (1/6s or faster), and a fast ISO (400-800). The flash will freeze the foreground and the long exposure time will catch the ambience of the background.

Bar the external flash, these are almost the exact settings I applied last time. I was quite happy with the results, though I can’t help but be envious of some of Adrien’s. An external is on the list of things to add to my arsenal, as well as a wider lens. I can’t wait to rock into the club with a ten inch module on top of my camera.

If we make it to a December Dojo, maybe I’ll get less fucked up and get more photos.

Participant

Also, that Dojo beer was awesome. It was a product of Benjamin’s I presume? I’d love to try it while I have some more of my wits about me.

Keymaster

Bar the external flash, these are almost the exact settings I applied last time. I was quite happy with the results, though I can’t help but be envious of some of Adrien’s. An external is on the list of things to add to my arsenal, as well as a wider lens. I can’t wait to rock into the club with a ten inch module on top of my camera. If we make it to a December Dojo, maybe I’ll get less fucked up and get more photos.

The external flash is a crucial component, that will make a huge difference. I’ve been trying to get my external flash to work with my Fuji camera for ages, if I can’t get it to work I’d be happy to sell it to you if you’re interested. I believe the model number is EX-580, it’s a Canon flash.

Cool photos by the way! The Gold Sprints that we did at the September Dojo were so much fun. I look forward to more of those kind of events in Spring 2014.

Also, that Dojo beer was awesome. It was a product of Benjamin’s I presume? I’d love to try it while I have some more of my wits about me.

It actually wasn’t Ben’s beer this time, it was Belgian 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.